Electrical Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 11:12 PM
Default Electrical Issue

Hello,

so heres whats up or I guess not whats up. I have a 93 VW Cab. It was sitting for two years. To make a long story short I had to get a bunch of parts etc... So I was pissed off because I couldnt find the right socket and in my rage I forgot that I placed the battery in backwards. Needless to say the battery started smoking and the alternator did as well. Obviously I disconnected it. The car started right up afterwards on battery power. I left the terminals connected which I think was my next mistake. The next day it was completely dead, took the battery out and had it tested/charged. Put battery in to drive to where I was having the new alternator put in. Put in the new alternator, battery was dead again. Tried to jump start it and the battery cables heated up real fast, the cooling fan came on and the electrical connections to the alternator heated up as well. At this time the key was in my hand not in the ignition. Disconnected right away so new alternator would not be shot. So it seems as though the electricity is feeding from the battery to the fan and the alternator instead of from the alternator to the battery. If anyone has any idea what this could be or how to fix it, your knowledge would be greatly appreciated. In addition before this happened there was a buzzing sound in the car that happened randomly, no idea what it is/was, don't know if that could be part of it. It wasn't associated with any of the dummy lights, just random.
Anyway, thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions.