big transmission problem... please help :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 03:55 PM
Default big transmission problem... please help :(

about two weeks ago my 98 cabrio started making a noise when i drove, and since then it's gotten more and more prevalent. it sounds like the wind or something except about 10 times louder and it comes from underneath the car and the floor vibrates. it's a manual transmission and for a few days it's been popping and bucking violently when i reverse but it's absolutely fine when i drive forward in any gear, except the noise. and then this morning it wouldn't move at all in reverse, it just made a loud squealing/hissing/hacking/crunching/nails-on-a-chalkboard noise and it was EXTREMELY unpleasant. i can't not back out of my driveway because we have trees, so i had to put it in neutral and push it out far enough for me to drive forward in order to get to school. i don't want to drive it anymore because it sucks and it's pretty dangerous to be unable to reverse, and i'm on vacation next week so i want to get it fixed as soon as possible. i talked to some people and they said it might be the clutch going or something because it's only reverse that gives me any trouble (again, except for the strange noise). if anybody could help me out it would be wonderful, i just want to know what's wrong with it and how much i should be expecting to spend to fix it, or if i need a new transmission altogether, which i really hope isn't the case.

Old 04-16-2007, 04:52 PM
Default RE: big transmission problem... please help :(

I don't think it will be the clutch...if it was it would be slipping or hard to get in gear. It sounds like a main bearing or similar. If you could remove the tranny you can grab the main shaft to see if there is play. If you have to take it somewhere to get it fixed...I suggest buying a used, or rebuilt tranny and get it running again. Something else you could do is drain the oil and see if it contains a lot of metal shavings. If you lost a bearing or even teeth in your gears, you will see a lot of metal particles in your oil. Hope this helps.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:19 AM

Well it's Deff Not the Clutch.. And I don;t thnik it's the transmission....

Old 08-19-2008, 06:18 PM

it could be one of severa problems lets go from cheap and easy to expensive and difficult

Vibration while driving equals cv joints in axle shafts 1. cv joints wear differently between cars yours can bee worn and only allowing the axle to turn in a forward direction and binding when put into reverse, you can check this by putting the e brake on jacking up the front end putting it reverse and try to get the wheels to turn. next check is to grab the cv shaft and see how much play are in the axles rotate the axle back and forth should be no more than 1/8 of a turn and no to minimal noise emminating from the cv's. check to see if cv boots are torn or leaking it could be damage due to lack of grease inside the boot.

2. reverse idler bearing within the transmission this expensive and a pain in the rear to repair it is almost more effective and cheaper to get a used tranny from a wrecker and do an r&r

3. low tranny fluid and tranny is chewed beyond repair

4. you ran over a small child and bike and its jamming your car up LOL

Hope this helps