2001 cabrio engine issues.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 01:43 PM
Default 2001 cabrio engine issues.

Hello I am David, I am new to forums chat and most forms of internet conversations. i do and have texted before so i'm not completely lost! LOL. What i have is a 2001 VW Cabrio GLX. w/ a 2.0 liter (here it gets fuzzy) ABA possibly a MK3 engine. I have worked on motors for some time from diesel, marine,automotive, and heavy trucks. I have a Matco Determinator scan tool but do not have the European unlocked. So i used the global OBII to find any codes that i might have. My first problems landed me with a P1476 Emissions, A P0341 Camshaft position, A P0411 Secondary air induction incorrect flow, and Last P0740 Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid circuit open... first Thing i did was to clear all codes and see if any codes came right back. only the P0341. not knowing what engine i had for certain i bought several sensors only to find out they were all wrong. I replaced the distributor and the Code went away. Now to present issue. drove the car for several months with no problems the check engine light came on and i found the emissions code P1476. i replaced the gas tank cap. cleared code. good for a week. Now i can feel a miss while driving the car very faint which i can understand form an engine with 108,000 miles on her. But now it will stumble and shut down when you come to a stop, but will start right back up. No codes whatsoever, So i did a major tune up plugs wires cap rotor and coil. new air and fuel filter. I do not hear and vacuum leaks but doesn't mean i don't have one. I guess the only think i have not replaced as of yet is the engine crank sensor. If you have continued to read this I thank you for taking the time to do so, And if anyone has some suggestions (other than get rid or the car!) I would greatly appreciate them. Thanks you very much again.
David

Old 02-07-2017, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

VAG Error Code: 17884/005238
EOBD II Error Code: P1476

Fault Location:
Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Leak Detection Pump/Fuel Tank Vent System - Malfunction/Insufficient Vacuum

Possible Cause:
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.

Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System faulty/leaking.
Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Leak Detection Pump faulty.
Insufficient vacuum supply to the Leak Detection Pump.

Possible Solutions:
Check Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System for Leaks.
Check Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Leak Detection Pump.
Check vacuum supply at Leak Detection Pump.

VAG Error Code: 16725/000833/6039
EOBD II Error Code: P0341

Fault Location:
Camshaft Position (Hall) Sensor (G40) - Implausible Signal

Possible Cause:

Wiring/Connector(s).
Camshaft Position (Hall) Sensor (G40) faulty.
Timing misaligned.

Possible Solutions:
Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s)..
Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).
Check Camshaft Position (Hall) Sensor (G40).
Check Timing.

Tech Notes:
Sometimes and in some models, low battery voltage or a weak starter can trigger a Camshaft Position Sensor code.

When is the code detected?:
The camshaft position sensor signal sent to the Engine Control Module (ECM) during the first few seconds of engine cranking is out of range.

Description:
The Camshaft Position (Hall) Sensor is an electronic device used in an engine to record the rate at which the camshaft is spinning. This information is used by the Engine Control Module (ECM) to control ignition and fuel injection. The camshaft position sensor senses the retraction of camshaft (intake) to identify a particular cylinder. The Camshaft Position (Hall) Sensor senses the piston position. The sensor system consists of a rotating part, typically a disc, as well as a static part, the actual sensor. When the engine is running, the high and low parts of the teeth cause the gap with the sensor to change. The changing gap causes the magnetic field near the sensor to change. The change in the magnetic field cause the voltage from the sensor to change. When the Crankshaft Position Sensor system becomes inoperative, the camshaft position sensor provides various controls of engine parts instead, utilizing timing of cylinder identification signals.

When the engine is running, the high and low parts of the teeth cause the gap with the sensor to change. The changing gap causes the magnetic field near the sensor to change. The change in the magnetic field cause the voltage from the sensor to change.

When the Crankshaft Position Sensor system becomes inoperative, the Camshaft Position (Hall) Sensor provides various controls of engine parts instead, utilizing timing of cylinder identification signals.

VAG Error Code: 16795/001041
EOBD II Error Code: P0411

Fault Location:
Secondary Air Injection (AIR) System - Incorrect Flow Detected

Possible Cause:

Wiring/Connector(s).
Fuel Pump Relay (J17) faulty.
Hoses/Pipes to/between Components faulty/clogged.
Secondary Air (AIR) Injection Pump (V101) faulty.
Secondary Air (AIR) Injection Pump Relay (J299) faulty.
Secondary Air (AIR) Injection Solenoid Valve (N112) faulty.

Possible Solutions:
Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
Check Fuel Pump Relay (J17).
Check Hoses/Pipes to/between Components.
Check Secondary Air (AIR) Injection Hoses/Pipes for Carbonization.
Check Secondary Air (AIR) Injection Pump (V101).
Check Secondary Air (AIR) Injection Pump Relay (J299).
Check Secondary Air (AIR) Injection Solenoid Valve (N112).

When is the code detected?:
The secondary air injection system does not detect the presence of air in the exhaust when introduced by the secondary air injection system.

Description:
An air pump is used on the vehicle to lower tail pipe emissions on start-up. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) grounds the Air pump relay control circuit which energizes the Air pump. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) also grounds the Air combination valve vacuum control solenoid circuit, which energizes the Air vacuum control solenoid. Vacuum is then applied to both Air combination valve diaphragms which opens the shut off valves. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) enables both circuits simultaneously when Air system operations id desired. When the AIR system is active, then Air pump forces fresh air into the exhaust stream in order to accelerate catalyst operation. The AIR combination valves replace the conventional check valves. When the AIR system is inactive the shut off valves prevent air flow in either direction.

As taken from my new https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/ge...oftware-34973/

https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/ne...gnature-34185/

Old 02-07-2017, 11:44 AM

Thank you Keith that is some useful information. It appears from what i read the proper thing to do since i no longer have any codes is to replace the crank sensor. I hope that i have added the information in my signature, and if i did that then i may have added pictures of the car and engine compartment as well.!

Old 02-09-2017, 12:45 PM

Keith I am wondering if you or anyone who see this post could point me in the direction or give me the information on how to find out what model and engine type i have in my cabrio. I was told it was a GLX when i bought it, but there is no badge on the back or side of the car. I bought the car from used car lot. LOL and i just dropped the fuse box down and found the cruise module and the anti theft and door lock module were just disconnected. So i got some more troubleshooting to get to. But to know what i have would help out in ordering new parts, ie the crank sensor. i think i have found 4 different ones with all different prices ! Thank you
David

Old 02-10-2017, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator

Please add your car spec to your signature?

VAG vehicles come with a data/option code sticker showing the Type Code, engine code and transmission code.

e.g.

Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 06/2000-12/2001, Model: Golf Cabriolet, Engine Code: AWF, 85Kw, 115PS, 2.0 Ltr, 4 Cyls

Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 06/2000-06/2002, Model: Golf Cabriolet, Engine Code: ABA, 85Kw, 115PS, 2.0 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: California: Motronic M2.9

As taken from my new VAG Engine & Transmission Codes which I haven't posted on here. Its on a few forums VAG Engine & Transmission Codes

But users aren't really bothered about it.