Need Help ASAP!

Old 10-05-2008, 05:06 PM
Default Need Help ASAP!

This is my post from another forum, i just copied and pasted, hopefully someone here can help.
Originally Posted by snowlover
I took out the throttle body and cleaned it up, it was pretty dirty but not so gummed it was having problems. But no luck on fixing the problem. Although I did find a split vacuum line (going to the brake booster-fixed). I'm still getting the following codes:

P1543 TP signal too low
P1580 Throtle Actuator B1 malfunction

Now when I cleaned the trottle body I did NOT remove the black cover over what I assume is the trhrottle actuator. It was sealed by melting over a plastic tab. But I'm going to open that up now and see if I can get it to free up. Also going to clean and add dielectric grease to the throttle body connector.
I have the same 2 codes on a 98 Beetle.
First the car's battery died, and it sat for probably a few months. We jump started the battery and drove it home, shut it off and it wouldn't start again. The battery was dead. So I swapped in another battery and it started.

The CEL light was on so i scanned it and it gave me 3 codes, 1 of which was P1543. I cleared them all and P1543 was the only one to come back. I read something on the internet that led me to believe it could be a clogged fuel filter, which sounded right because it started to run like crap right after it ran the gas tank dry. So today i took off the fuel filter, and blew it out with an air hose. It seemed to flow pretty good, so i put it back on and tried to start the car. Now it won't start. It fires, but instantly dies. If i put the pedal to the floor and start it it will fire and rev and instantly die. Also right after it wouldn't start after putting the filter back in it threw the P1580 code.

Can anybody help me out with what the problem could be? The car isn't mine, and i kinda need to finish it asap. Thanks guys

Old 10-05-2008, 09:06 PM
Default RE: Need Help ASAP!

sounds like your key imoblizer do you get a flashing light on the dash when you try to start it

Old 10-06-2008, 03:03 AM

nope, sure don't...

Old 10-06-2008, 04:24 PM

the P1580 code is no longer present on the vehicle, only the P1543 code. And is there anywhere i can get the plastic piece that the oil fill cap screws into? The piece between the valve cover and the actual cap.. Thanks

Old 06-12-2010, 01:23 PM
Wink Need Help ASAP!

Hello Bill, same thing happened here with my Kid's car, one day battery is dead and we jump the veh about 4 times and then dies and would not start.Mind u that the battery was new and something was also draining it, the air pump would come on with car on or off draining it all.

prior to buying the car the dealer changed the battery and did not reset the computer. car was sitting for a month....took to my mechanic and it was giving all kind of code problems and the 98 does not have a immobilizer if it was made in MX.I asked the dealer and here is more info on that:

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_h...mmobilizer.htm

well, my mech could not fix the codes specially the P1543 and I took it to the dealer and they did try to reset and clean all the codes but the P1543 would not go away, i wished it was only that since it would cost me only 99.00 to reset codes and the throttle body was bad after all...
Car is perfect now after changing that part.

Hope this helps you because it almost drove me nuts, car wanted to start but for me, gas was not going anyplace,it would die..... the ECM was not recognizing the car parts any longer that is why it sounds like this or that to us, air pump first, then gas that was not going anyplace.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:28 AM

I recently had similar problems. With no warning symptoms or signs my car refuses to start. The battery needed changing and encountered problem code P1543. After changing my battery and starting the car, it was unable to maintain steady rpms as it would drop and rise until it completely died. Long story short, unlike most who changed the throttle control module, I just had mines reprogramed by a friend who is vw technician. PROBLEM SOLVED
I still don't know what drew all the battery's power because the alternator was tested good. Apparently if the voltage of the battery goes low enough, a lot of power dependent systems in the car will get thrown off. Along with having to reprogram the parameters of the throttle control module, the abs, airbags, and a whole bunch of other things needed code clearing(codes only acessable by a VW computer).