I need help ASAP before i bring it back to the dealer!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 05:59 PM
Exclamation I need help ASAP before i bring it back to the dealer!

ok. I bought an 04 convertible VW beetle 2 months ago from a dealership.. I have had numerous problems with the car. The other day I noticed my "front brakes worn" light was on. I called the dealership and they told me to bring it in. Then the other day, my car all of a sudden lost power, started dragging and had lack of acceleration, along with a humming sound. The MIL light (malfunction indicator lamp) went on and began flashing. It has not gone off and i am too nervous to drive my car around due to the way it feels/sounds. It was raining that day and I did go through a deep puddle. Could is be that the wires are just wet? Should i bring it in for repair ( i dont have the money at the moment) should i wait for them to dry out? please someone help! lol if i do bring it in, is it safe to drive for about 15 minutes?

Old 03-04-2010, 09:37 AM

I'm hoping you might have a 3 month/3,000 mile warranty on it? If the front brakes are worn that's ok, just time for them to be replaced so leave yourself space while driving since they won't stop as well as new brakes. The puddle could do it, also could be a chip issue, something in the computer. Is the MIL still on? The dealership can probably diagnose is and determine why it's on as well.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:40 PM

If the purchase was only 2-months ago, it should be covered under warranty. When you press down on the gas to accelerate does the needle on the tachtometer go up? If it doesn't then that means the engine is not working. If it does, then that means it is working but you aren't getting power from it. Is it also idling rough?

It MIGHT be the ignition coils. That's my big thing right now, since there's some issues with the coils and an ongoing recall. I just had mine replaced. I just checked your model vehicle. Is it a 1.8T? If so, then it's eligible for the recall. Free of charge.

http://www.vwcoils.com/Page1.aspx

Read all of the info on the recall parameters. You need to wait for the letter, but if you've got check engine warnings going off, the dealer should not give you a hard time about checking and replacing the coils.

If you've got no power, MIL warning, then YES bring it in. Especially since you just bought it 2-months ago. Should all be covered regardless of the issue.

Good luck.