Minor problem. Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 06:28 PM
Default Minor problem. Please help!

Ok, '67 bug.... just drove 10 miles into town from my storage unit, ran 70mph flawlessly. Stopped to get gas, turned it off, fueled up, started back up and came to the house. Turned off the engine for about 20 minutes, tried to start it back up to go do a little cruisin and NOTHING. No start. The key just turns. I checked all the wires and they were all secure, the headlights work, all lights work. But the engine wont turn over. Could it be something with the regulator? the starter, I can't remember if the two little lights in the speedometer come on when you turn the key, they are not coming on at all. I tried to push start it and still no start, so it's not getting power to the ignition or something. Does anyone know what I can try next? Please help. I really wanted to cruise my bug this friday night. Thanks. Todd

Old 05-12-2006, 10:41 PM
Default RE: Minor problem. Please help!

sounds like possibly the problem i'm having. i've been told that it's a problem with not getting enough power to the starter at times. the best way we've found to deal with this until we can fix it is to manually engage the starter by crossing it over with a jumper wire.

Old 05-14-2006, 02:19 PM
Default RE: Minor problem. Please help!

Owned a 73 bug had similar problems. Mostly caused by a short from the rear seat on the battery and bad terminals, also bad connection at the starter. Start there and be careful, make sure car is in nuetral and parking brake on when engaging starter from crossing over! If not, I say it is a bad wire from the ignition switch, I have never heard these going bad but, wiring back then was pretty shotty!