Locked engine in 69 Bug

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 11:39 PM
Default Locked engine in 69 Bug

Hello. I am completly new to Volkswagens and I just purchased a 69 Volkswagen Bug for $50. The guy told me that he drove it into his shop approx. 6 years ago, but now the motor is locked up. I was wondering if there is any possible way to try and unlock the motor without having to rebuild it right away? I would like to run this engine to check and see if eveything else works. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-22-2006, 01:08 PM
Default RE: Locked engine in 69 Bug

There is one way you MAY be able to free a seized engine. Put the vw in neutral. If you get your monkey wrench out and open the engine lid, simply grab onto the crank. Now with a pipe or some other extending device, see if you can force the engine to turn. The only time I was able to get a friend's unseized, I used the handle/pipe from my jack. I ended up standing on the pipe to get the engine to break the seize and get rolling again.

It is a long shot, but it may work. It only has worked once for me, but I would still recommend an overhaul. Hope this helps, Good luck

Old 05-19-2006, 11:14 AM
Default RE: Locked engine in 69 Bug

If you can't free it up with a wrench, here's another old way. It'll require the help of a few buddies though.

1. Sit in drivers seat with car in first or second gear.
2. Push clutch to the floor.
3. Have buddies push the car forward as fast as they can.
4. Release the clutch and bang. The car might stop suddenly (tell buddies to beware) or if you have the key in the on position the car may start and suddenly leap forward (again buddies beware).

You can try this with the key in the on or off position. It's worked a few times for me on cars in the past.

You might also want to shoot just a bit of penetrating oil into the cylinders through the spark plug holes the night before you try and free it up. This will help free the piston rings up if they are frozen.