Dumb question

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 07:24 PM
Default Dumb question

I have a classic Beetle, not sure of the year if someone could tell me where to find a VIN or som indication of that I'd be a happy camper [sm=smiley20.gif]but I'm trying to get everything outta there 1st to take stock and see what to do 1st, I have bee looking at the front seats with the haynes manual and no luck how to get the seats out are they just on screws or do I need to take the rails off as well?[sm=headbang.gif]

Old 12-29-2005, 12:33 AM
Default RE: Dumb question

most vins on the older vw's are under the back seat, dead center.. on the hump.. also in the front under the hood behind the spare tire.. it's a little plate.. you'll see itl..[:-] the front seats are removed by just sitting in the seat, holding the seat adjustment handle all the way over and just scooting the seat forward until it comes off the rail.. no the rails are not removed.

Old 12-29-2005, 12:38 AM
Default RE: Dumb question

oh... I forgot to tell you.. there is a book called.. Volkswagens for the complete Idiot.. by John Muir.. it is JUST great.. in the book you will learn all kinds of stuff.. after 30 years of working on vw's.. I still am learning from the best.. John.. he died a couple of years ago.. which is a terrible loss.. but his book still keeps us all warm and tingly... lol[8D]in his book he gives a list of aproximate vin numbers that came in such and such years.. it is an aproximate.. but it will give you an idea.. good luck with you vw.. hope you learn to love them as much as we do..