Help....where did I go wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 02:26 PM
Default Help....where did I go wrong?

Okay, I'm not understanding why this is happening....I have a '67 bug and it was running excellent! I did notice a little dirt in the carb so I decided to clean it thinking it could only improve things...I took the carb off and jet cleaned it with carburetor choke cleaner and then put the carb back on...I went to start it and it sputtered a little and finally started without applying any throttle...it idles really well but when I put it into gear and give it gas to go, it sputters and dies, I've tried turning the Volume Control Screw and the Bypass Screw on the carburetor in different positions but it doesnt seem to help or I just don't know where to set them, I've also tried adjusting the throttle valve screw but it doesnt help either...I put a new fuel filter on, could that be faulty? the filter does fill up with gas....could it have something to do with the automatic choke not being set right? cuz I did take that off the carb and the little spring kinda turned, I don't know much about that...if anyone knows why my car is acting this way, I would appreciate any tips, thank you.

Old 12-25-2005, 06:12 PM
Jsd
Default RE: Help....where did I go wrong?

Does it stall when you put it into gear, or when it's in gear and you first try to accelerate?

Old 12-25-2005, 09:54 PM

ORIGINAL: Jsd

Does it stall when you put it into gear, or when it's in gear and you first try to accelerate?

It fires right up...I can sit there and rev it up
fine...it idles fine...I'll put it into gear and I can
rev it up fine, but when I let out the clutch and
start going it acts like it's gasping for gas, rrrrrr
choke choke rrrrrrr choke choke, it sputters and
finally dies/stalls. Any clue? I'm pulling my hair
out over this cuz it was running perfect before I
messed with it. Thanks.

Old 12-26-2005, 03:05 AM
Jsd

hmm sounds like you're either running lean, or...did you forget to plug in a vaccum hose when you put the carb back together? VW's don't like vaccum leaks.

-Jeff

Old 12-26-2005, 10:09 AM

ORIGINAL: Jsd

hmm sounds like you're either running lean, or...did you forget to plug in a vaccum hose when you put the carb back together? VW's don't like vaccum leaks.

-Jeff
The only thing I might not have put back together right is the automatic choke, because it turned on me and I'm not sure how much to turn it when I screwed it back in, could that be the problem?

Old 12-29-2005, 12:44 AM

[&:]here is a couple of suggestions... the float might be to low.so it will starve for gas. and or the accelerator pump has a hole in the diaphram. I would highly suggest you get a complete rebuild kit .. they are really cheap.. 10 bucks.. or there abouts.. instructions will come with the kit as far as adjustments and such.. good luck..