Door handles and window winders in '66 Beetle

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 10:21 AM
Woz
Default Door handles and window winders in '66 Beetle

I've been here for ten minutes and already I'm thinking of new questions to post about.

This is probably going to sound really stupid but I'm stuck as to how to remove the door handles and window winders in a '66 Beetle. They're the slender chrome ones (window winders have the white **** on the end) which seem to have some sort of pin through the base of them which I can't work out how to remove.

Is there a special tool to get these out? Is the bit of metal that pokes through the base supposed to be pulled out or pushed in? Is there a glue or something used to hold the handles on? Is it just a case of a quick spray with some WD40 to loosen everything up?

I'm worried that I'll break something if I keep forcing them. They seem to be stuck on really well.

Old 12-29-2005, 12:09 AM
Default RE: Door handles and window winders in '66 Beetle

My husband and I just worked for 3 hours on replacing the window mech the cranks the whole thing up and down.. what a pain in the butt that was.. but as far as removing the handles themselves.. they are just little roll pins.. with a thin punch (like a ice pick and a hammer ,, you just tap them out.. but watch out ,, have a rug or something under you to catch the little bugger when it pops out.. it put them back in, make sure the handle is pushed in far enough to go into the grove and you are not pounding it into the groves.. the only hard part it holding on to the little stuckers.. I use a pair of needle nose plyers.. oh and it helps to start them before you put the handle back on.. it is a fun little job..[:@]