Cranking over but not starting

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 11:48 AM
Default Cranking over but not starting

I will apologise before I start as my naivety in the etiquette on the forum might show.
New to the forum as you will see by lack of posts, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I own a 2001 2.0l beetle, which up until recently has never missed a beat.
But now it will not start, its turns over but will not start, I have read various things regarding fuel pump, relays, sensors etc, but am reluctant to just keep replacing things ***** nilly.
I recently had the keys remarried to the speedometer due to an immobiliser issue, but since then had issues with my bug starting when she feels like it, on speaking to the key people they advised a new battery could be needed, so I fitted a new battery as not sure when it was last changed.
Upon fitting she started straight away, so I used the car that day stopping and starting numerous times on various errands with no issues, started straight away ever time.
The following day, I started the car first time no problem, drove about 5 miles, turned her off for about an hour, then she wouldn't start, just turning over but no start, I have no warning lights showing, but not sure where to look first ?
Fuel system or ignition system. Any advice would be really appreciated, sorry for vague question, but as you can imagine key reprogramming and new battery is adding up costs, so I don't want to fork out on other parts I might not need.
Thanks in advance

Old 07-21-2017, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

First posts normally go in introductions.

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing.

Please tell us your car spec in your signature

Old 07-21-2017, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Keithuk
First posts normally go in introductions.

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing.

Please tell us your car spec in your signature
thank you I will add vehicle details in the morning when I go out to the car.
fortunately I have solved the issue, it turned out to be a fuel pump issue, over time it had become clogged, tried the tap on the base of fuel tank, and it started so removed fuel pump and replaced, no error codes at all, so fortunately not an overly expensive fix.

Old 07-22-2017, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator

With VAG-COM\VCDS you can test components to see if they show the correct value/pressures.