This car has gone bonkers - alarm goes off when started...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 02:37 PM
Default This car has gone bonkers - alarm goes off when started...

This Beetle has gone bonkers.

1. First off the passenger door will not lock. So, if you walk over to it and pull the handle the door will open and the alarm will sound.

2. When the drivers door is unlocked and you get in the car, stick the key in the ignition (all fine so far I guess), turn the key to start the car and the alarm goes off. The car does start. Weird.

3. Last night the car was secure, this morning 3 of the windows were down and will not go back up. So the car is sitting at the mall (her work) with the windows down. When the buttons for any of the windows are operated nothing happens.

I checked all of the fuses at the drivers side of the dash, all were good. I also disconnected the battery negative for about 15 minutes and that had no effect on the issues.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Old 01-25-2013, 06:51 PM

I had a couple of guys from a Volvo forum give me a few tips. One was the fact that the door latches can mess with a lot of the electronics in these cars. So I took the remote and locked and unloced the doors and the drivers door lock light indicated that it was locking and unlocking but it would not lock or unlock with the remote. It only locked and unlocked with the key.

It's pretty cold here at times so I pulled the passenger side door, unsecured the window motor, pulled the window up, and resecured the motor. I didn't get to do the rear ones because I wasn't sure how to remove the the panels back there and I didn't want to break anything. I did find a YouTube video so I'll likely do that tomorrow. The passenger door works fine with the remote.

I was thinking that there may be a window relay bad but the dealer claims the car doesn't have one. I know they would rater get the car in there so they could charge their $105 dionostic fee but the lady simply does not have the money.

I'll update this again when I get some more input.