Alarm Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 01:47 AM
Default Alarm Problem

I recently purchased a 1999 New Beetle TDI, and for the first few weeks it gave me no problems whatsoever. But over the past week something really weird has been happening. Normally the security system activates whenever I lock the door, and turns off when I unlock it. But for some reason, it has been acting erratically. Sometimes when I activate it, it just won't turn off, and I can't start the car without the alarm going off. I won't be able to turn it back off, until I wait for about a day or so, and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to when it happens. Of course, sometimes it fails to activate when I lock the door, too. Lately I've been afraid to even lock the door, for fear of being unable to turn off the alarm, and I don't want to do that for any longer than I have to.

Basically, my question is this: Does anyone know how to disconnect the security system altogether? I don't need the thing, and if there's an easy way for me to get rid of it without having to bring it into the shop, I'd like to do it.

Of course, any other advice you might have on the subject would be appreciated, too. Thanks in advance! =)