Ac issues on a 99 beetle

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 03:43 PM
Default Ac issues on a 99 beetle

Ok, my wifes beetle has not had a working AC since early last year. She wasn't worried about it so I let it go untill now.

I checked to see if the compressor kicked on and it did not. However I remember reading someplace that if the system is completly emtpy of freon it was designed not to come on? I also checked the fuses ontop of the batt, all of which looked fine.

My bro had a spare can of AC booster laying around and he brought it up this afternoon. I followed the directions on the can and none of the freon seemed to exit the can. However when I checked the dash vents, the temp seemed to get cool and then warm again, but never cold!

Is there anything else I should check?

thanks

Old 05-07-2008, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Ac issues on a 99 beetle

take it to a place to get it serviced.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:43 PM

The AC system does have a pressure switch that will not allow the compressor to come on if the charge is low. You can check the compressor by removing the connector at the switch and jump terminals 1 and 2, that will bypass the switch. If you added some R134a to the system make sure it was added to the low side(marked by a L on the cap). The pressure should be around 35 to 45 psi if the system is good. This is checked with the system on and the fan on high. There are more fuses on the left side of the instrument panel under a plastic cover. Open the drivers side door and you will see and have access to it.The best way to test the system is with a manifold guage set to find out what the pressure is on both the high and low sides. Start withthe simple and check all the fuses, both on thebattery and on the inside. Then remove theconnector on the compressor and clean itas well as the one on the pressure switch.If the fan works and the compressor clutch engages and still no cool air the problem my be in the rest of the system such as the receiver-dryer or possibly an overcharge.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:55 PM

ORIGINAL: bagel

take it to a place to get it serviced. Earl couldn't have said it better!!!!
If you don't know , take it somewhere!!!
Earl

Old 05-07-2008, 07:38 PM

ORIGINAL: mausolfh

The AC system does have a pressure switch that will not allow the compressor to come on if the charge is low. You can check the compressor by removing the connector at the switch and jump terminals 1 and 2, that will bypass the switch. If you added some R134a to the system make sure it was added to the low side(marked by a L on the cap). The pressure should be around 35 to 45 psi if the system is good. This is checked with the system on and the fan on high. There are more fuses on the left side of the instrument panel under a plastic cover. Open the drivers side door and you will see and have access to it.The best way to test the system is with a manifold guage set to find out what the pressure is on both the high and low sides. Start withthe simple and check all the fuses, both on thebattery and on the inside. Then remove theconnector on the compressor and clean itas well as the one on the pressure switch.If the fan works and the compressor clutch engages and still no cool air the problem my be in the rest of the system such as the receiver-dryer or possibly an overcharge.
I'm aware of the fuse panel on the side of the dash, but I wasn't aware of any fuses that would be related to the issues I am having.

Thanks