2004 2.0l Beetle- rough idle-#2cyl misfire- fumes from exhaust- slow acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 09:20 PM
Default 2004 2.0l Beetle- rough idle-#2cyl misfire- fumes from exhaust- slow acceleration

Hello, Im looking for some insight on my 2004 2.0l beetle. Since I bought it, less than a year ago, I've had to replace the battery, alternator, spark plug wires,fuel pump, head gasket, and a valve on #2 cylinder. The misfire on cylinder #2 is recurring, I thought it would be fixed after the valve was replaced but now I'm starting to think that it's the ignition coil that has gone bad. Also, I've replaced the spark plugs several times and only find it to have accumulated black deposits(guessing from the spark not getting hot enough). Does anybody else have the same problem or can anyone tell me if I'm on the right track. the symptoms are "rough idle-#2cyl misfire- fumes from exhaust- slow acceleration-loss of speed uphill- worse gas mileage"

any information helps, I just want this damn car to run smooth again

Old 05-16-2014, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum Kyle. Name:  VWwelcome.gif
Views: 668
Size:  951 Bytes

You need to get your motor scanned for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing.

https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/ne...gnature-34185/

Old 09-27-2014, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Kyle Carlson
Hello, Im looking for some insight on my 2004 2.0l beetle. Since I bought it, less than a year ago, I've had to replace the battery, alternator, spark plug wires,fuel pump, head gasket, and a valve on #2 cylinder. The misfire on cylinder #2 is recurring, I thought it would be fixed after the valve was replaced but now I'm starting to think that it's the ignition coil that has gone bad. Also, I've replaced the spark plugs several times and only find it to have accumulated black deposits(guessing from the spark not getting hot enough). Does anybody else have the same problem or can anyone tell me if I'm on the right track. the symptoms are "rough idle-#2cyl misfire- fumes from exhaust- slow acceleration-loss of speed uphill- worse gas mileage"

any information helps, I just want this damn car to run smooth again
Did you come up with a reason for your misfire?

I've had three misfires on cyl 2 in 13 months. Two dealerships failed to identify a cause, while I assume they did scans. First time, in one test the shop swapped plugs and injector between cyl 1 and 2, but 2 remained as the misfiring cylinder. Resolution (good for only three months): a "BC" engine clean. Second time, a different dealer shop replaced plugs and injectors and that fix held for a year. Third time (August 2014) an independent shop did not find a specific problem. It cleared the engine code and the misfire did not return after several restarts. Finally the shop did a "44K" fuel injection/induction system clean just to do something! After more restarts the MIL has still not returned.