New Member Area New to VWF? Stop in tell us about you.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to me 2008 Passat Wagon

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 12:19 PM
Default New to me 2008 Passat Wagon

I recently bought a Passat wagon to replace a 1998 Volvo V70 T5 wagon that I gave to my daughter and son-in law after their 1996 Toyota Camry died. I'd told them that I would give them the Volvo when I got another car. The passing of their Toyota put my search for another car on the front burner. I really liked that Volvo, it's in great shape and everything works on it. Oh well, it's still in the family.

I wanted another Station Wagon, not an SUV, I just don't like the styling of SUVs, they look too, how can I put it, over inflated. I looked for another Volvo also Audi, Mercedes Benz and Volkswagen.

What I found, through CarFax, was a 2008 VW Passat 3.6 VR6 4Motion wagon. It was at a car lot about an hour and a half drive from my house, it had not been wrecked and had been serviced regularly since it was new. I liked it so I bought it. One of the keys had a dead battery and wouldn't unlock the doors even after I changed the battery, I took it to an automotive locksmith and he told me to take it to the VW dealer to synch the key to the car, so that's what I did. The service tech at the dealer mentioned that it was a rare model, being a Passat wagon with the 3.6 V6 and 4motion. From my reading, it was only available in the US for two years, 2007 & 2008. The original owner must have checked off just about every option. All I can see that it doesn't have, is the GPS in the radio and the factory cell phone mount.

I have always done my own work on my cars, so I just bought the Ross-Tech diagnostic dongle and software, also a Bentley manual on CD-ROM.

I am having fun learning about this car and hope to learn much more through this forum.

Old 09-21-2018, 04:08 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum.

Its nice to see you made an intro on your own, as well as adding your car spec to your signature without being asked.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:35 AM

I know how irritating it is to not have basic information on a vehicle that someone is asking for help on. I am a frequent contributor to two MINI Cooper forums and I moderate a motorcycle forum.