New Member Area New to VWF? Stop in tell us about you.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 VW Passat Wagon 1.8T...is it the best decision

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 09:40 PM
Default 2005 VW Passat Wagon 1.8T...is it the best decision

Hello all,

I am currently in the market for a used vehicle. And I have come across a 2005 VW Passat Wagon 1.8T that has really caught my eye. Although before making any decisions, I am really trying to figure out if this will be the best vehicle for my needs. I realize this is a forum specifically oriented around VW, so you guys know better than anyone about these cars. With that being said, I would greatly appreciate practical unbiased advice.

To try and briefly describe my needs. I am a wilderness photographer, and I go on many long (10,000 miles +) road trips on a regular basis. Often to remote places where being stranded could be a serious issue. I have owned a couple of SUV's and pick-up's in the past, and after all of the traveling that I have done in them. I have come to the conclusion that the higher clearance of an SUV or truck is not necessary at all. In addition, while 4wd/AWD definitely can help in some situations, it too is not completely necessary. So, I would like to get some type of wagon vehicle. This option would still provide me with the storage space that I require for transporting equipment/supplies that would permit me to live and work on the road for weeks at a time. While also allowing me to get manageable fuel economy. Basically, I need some type of wagon that is reliable, mechanically well built and overall durable.

As I mentioned, I have found a 2005 VW Passat Wagon 1.8T. The car is low miles and in my price range. I have been trying to research these cars the best that I can online. But when all is said and done, the final conclusion is about 50/50. I have read many reviews saying they are very unreliable, extremely costly to maintain, and constantly require repairs. While at the same time, many people say that they are great cars, and if one keeps up with regular maintenance, they will go forever. I have no idea what to believe. Based on my stated needs, what do you guys honestly think about me buying this car. Will I be able to depend on it?

Thank you all greatly for your help, it is very much appreciated!

Please let me know if you have any questions that would help in answering my question.

Best,
Kyle

Old 03-05-2013, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum Kyle. Name:  VWwelcome.gif
Views: 37
Size:  951 Bytes

Its a pity you didn't choose a TDI I can give you loads of info with buyers guides?

When you get your new motor. https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/ne...gnature-34185/