New Member Area New to VWF? Stop in tell us about you.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my cabriolet dos not start

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 08:30 PM
Default my cabriolet dos not start

I change my Distributor cap, Distributor Rotor, Spark plug wires, Spark plugs now it's not starting. I put the old ones back on still nothing. I only need this car to start one more time so I can take it to a safe place. please I need help thanks

Old 04-30-2013, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum. Name:  VWwelcome.gif
Views: 173
Size:  951 Bytes

We need more details about your motor not cabriolet won't start.

https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/ne...gnature-34185/

You've changed all those ignition parts and you still don't have a spark at the spark plugs?

Do you have fuel do the spark plug get wet?

If you have a 109 relay that could be faulty.

Last edited by Keithuk; 04-30-2013 at 06:31 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:47 AM

well there is gas, and im trying to figure out whats my engine type is. there is spark but its not strong.
its the same way before i changed the old ones.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:39 PM

Did it crank/start before you made the changes?
trib

Old 05-15-2013, 10:57 PM

yes, only thing was if I stall out I could not start it with the key. I had to kick start it. I change the ignition coil, and the ignition module but still nothing. thank you for any advice you can give me.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator

A weak spark can be caused by low voltage to the ignition coil. You need a voltmeter connected to the battery as someone cranks the engine note the voltage it shouldn't drop below 9.6v. If it does it could be insufficient charge in the battery or resistance in the starter motor circuit you need to do a volt drop check.

What does VIN A mean in your sig, couldn't you find the engine code?

Old 05-16-2013, 12:20 PM
Default Cabriole no start

Sohan,
Bear with me. I'm trying to ascertain why you replaced ignition parts and not looked at your battery as your primary problem. If after stalling you need to bump start your motor, I would look to the cranking system, (battery). If after testing you find that your battery is good but it is always dieing or dead, the next step would be to check the charging system (alternator) to see whether or not it's putting out enough juice to charge your battery.
Where do you live? If you live here in the (United) States, you can go to any Pet boys, or Parts America and they will test your battery and Alternator for free. Of course they will also sell you what ever you may need. (they install the battery for free as well.)
A poor man's diagnostic method is to turn on your headlights then crank your engine. If you have a no crank, or if the lights dim drastically as your cranking, you have a cranking problem. (battery) Get that fixed first, before you go on. A weak or a dead battery will cause you diagnostic headaches. To the uninitiated, a weak ignition will often times seem like a carburetor problem.
Keep us posted.
Trib

Old 05-16-2013, 12:27 PM
Default Cabriolet no start

Sohan,
Also, you may consider posting further inquiries in the proper section. Your posting in the "New Member" forum. If you go to the general forum and click on the "VW Model" section, then go to the "Cabrio" section you will undoubtedly get more responses as that's where technical problems/questions are posted. Just saying.....
Trib