New Member Area New to VWF? Stop in tell us about you.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Been 21 yrs since last VW, new to forum

Old 08-15-2015, 11:20 PM
Smile Been 21 yrs since last VW, new to forum

Hello everyone,
Just purchased a 2002 Cabrio, 2.0l with A/T with 84,000 miles on it. The last VW I owned was a tricked out 80' Rabbit over 21 years old.

We had to drive about 500 miles to get this one. Like any used car there are always a few issues. I'm looking forward to hearing from other owners and reading their remedies, I'm just not sure where to post my questions. Keith, can you provide some directions? I need some information on the following initial concerns:

1. Side mirrors are warm to the touch, even though "rear window defroster" switch is not activated.
2. Owners manual doesn't give a layout of the fuse box. [and my old eyes can barely make out the printing on the underside of the fuse box cover]
3. Have a question about daylight running lights and about replacing the old worn out headlamps with something newer, maybe with a fog light?
4. Any advise regarding wind deflectors.
5. Went should the timing belt be changed?

It's late, and most of my thoughts are grinding to a halt due to intense mind fog.
Will upload some photos in a few days.

Old 08-16-2015, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum Mark. Name:  VWwelcome.gif
Views: 98
Size:  951 Bytes

The timing belt replacement time for your 2001 Cabrio 2.0 is 48 months regardless of miles/KM.

I've seen your post about the heated door mirrors being on all the time. These are controlled by the heated rear window it that warm the same? I would suggest you find someone with VAG-COM\VCDS to investigate more.

Its nice to see you've added your car spec in you signature without being asked.

Old 08-17-2015, 01:22 PM

Keith, thank you for the information on the timing belt. Every 4 yrs uh? At the rate that we will drive the Cabrio, that will equate to about 32,000 miles if that. Regarding the mirrors, once I get a repair manual [either a Haynes, Clinton or Bentley] I will be able to pull the fuse to the RWD and see if that kills the power to the mirror heaters. I'm hoping it's just a bad RWD switch.
What's the suggested mileage or time interval for changing out the A/T fluids?
Thanks, Mark