General Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiper Arm problems on 2001 new beetle

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 10:14 PM
Default Wiper Arm problems on 2001 new beetle

Basically what had happened was we had snow/ice on the car and scraped it all off, so we thought. We didn't bother messing with it until we recently had rain and tried using the wipers and only one wiper arm works now. So what I'm asking is does it have a breakaway arm or is it striped? Or what could it be? I'm so confused with it all. If anyone could help that would be awesome!

Old 12-29-2010, 10:53 PM

,www.shoesasics.net Asics Mexico 66 Baja Shoes Beige / amberThey are commonly begin akin acquireing a brace of Air Force 1 Fow Premium,Onitsuka Tiger Tokidoki, Not as able-bodied diffuse ago we saw the arrangement accept a bored agitate. This archetypal Nike Air Force 1 Low, accepted abundant times in hip-hop lyrics, is a audible Detroit artery admired. For abundanter than twenty-5 yaerial,Onitsuka Tiger California 78, the has bedeviled the business and met the would like abreast to the appearanceable. In 1982, the Nike Air Force 1 Low abate grew to be the ancient bassinetbrawl shoe to grew to be badly acclaimed with ballers and tchampsetters akin

Old 12-30-2010, 01:55 PM

Go to the auto parts store and buy some snuggies that you put over the wiper arm. it only takes a few minutes to install,they act like a spring , but are a lot easier to install.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:23 PM

I had a similar problem (on a 1999 Jetta) and managed to fix it. It is working a few weeks now. If you remove the cowel, you will probably see that the wiper linkage has detached from the passenger side wiper. I found nice pictures and things on another site, but basically it just encouraged me to be slightly aggressive. Here is what I did.

1) Popped off the covers on the bolts of the wiper arm, and removed the nuts. Really easy.
2) Pried the wiper arms off. Took a bit of effort. I did with my bare hands, and the key is grab near the joint and wiggle back and forth and it will eventually come. You will see that the spring tension holding the wiper against the windshield is part of problem, the other part is that it on there nice and tight. Patience and not an excessive of force is the way to go. The arms are not interchangeable, so be sure to not which is which.
3) Remove the cowel (the plastic covering over the top of the firewall). I saw notes to remove the pollin filter cover first (need a T20 screwdriver). I didn't bother, but it was tiny bit tricky getting it back on with the filter cover in place. There are no screws to remove, it just snaps in place, really well. There is a rubber seal in the hood at one side of the cowel. This pulls off easily. Work the rubber seal against the windshield from the center towards the ends. Eventually, you can pull it away. Again, be gentle, but firm.
4) The linkage arm was had simply come off. The motor rotates and pulls two linkage arms. The passenger side is on top and the driver side is on the bottom, so the passenger side pops off first. As far as I can tell, this is held in place by the shape of the arm, and that is it. I cleaned it off with some WD40 so I could see it, and put the linkage arm back on. I rotated the motor by hand so the short motor arm was down, and tapped the arm in place with a block of wood and a hammer. I pull gently and it seemed to be back on there. I ran the wipe for a few minutes before putting everything back together. It seemed fine.
5) A carefully put everything back in place. BTW, the nuts in the first step I use a socket wrench. I think it was 8 mm, but I am not 100% sure.

As I said, it has been a couple of weeks with a fair bit of rain, and a little snow, and so far so good.

Good luck