General Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rain or Snow, my VW won't GO!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 03:13 AM
Default Rain or Snow, my VW won't GO!

OK , here is my problem…
I own a 1997 VW Golf Jazz, that for some reason doesn’t like rain or snow!
Every time it snows or rains I cannot get on the highway with it. After a few minutes on the highway (faster speeds) it starts running on 3 cylinders… or at least that’s what it feels like. I’ve taken it to a garage, but they couldn’t find any problem. I have changed the spark plug wires, spark plugs, coil, air filter but nothing seems to work!!!
At normal city speeds 0-55 or so it runs great even in the rain or snow…
No rain or snow, no problem… I can even go on the highway and floor it!
I should also mention that I have changed my coil twice in 2 years because they just went bad and got to the point where the car would just stop and would not start.
I love this car, but it has given me a few headaches, very few I should say although it has always had an idling problem where once in awhile when I stop at a light or stop sign it will die out but it starts right away. I can deal with that for now, but the water and snow problem I need to fix!
What do you pros think? I need your help on this one!!
Regards,
Peter

Old 02-26-2007, 12:17 PM
Default RE: Rain or Snow, my VW won't GO!

i had those problems too with my last jetta,,, personally i think its because i threw a CAI and it was a pretty ghetto job and the water would get in there and kill the engine.. but if you still have the factory airbox i couldnt tell you...

Old 03-17-2007, 11:48 AM
Default RE: Rain or Snow, my VW won't GO!

it may not be the mechanical parts on ignition sytem it might be the wire loom going to them has a loose or open connection that shorts when it gets wet. try runnign a gardem hose on the wire loom under the hood start low and go higher and see what happens when you get it wet. also make sure your body to engine ground is good