Help, left top down in rain, won't start, indicator light, clicking noise?

Old 09-20-2009, 11:03 AM
Default Help, left top down in rain, won't start, indicator light, clicking noise?

My girlfriend left the top down on her 2003 VW bug turbo and it was soaked with rain last night. The interior was completely soaked(seats, dash, radio, etc).

This morning she was able to turn the key on to put the top up. We went to move the car into the garage and it will not start. When she tried to start the car the battery light was on initially and there was a loud clicking noise when she turned it over. She turned it over three times and just the loud clicking noise each time. It almost sounded like a relay of the starter? At some point the after that the interior lights on the doors and the mirrors stared to flash and a light clicking began . After that the interior lights on the doors and the rearview mirror started flashing repeatedly and making a light clicking noise constantly.

There is a warning/indicator light with a picture symbol of the car with a screw coming out of the side. It is not in the manual. One answer on a website indicated that meant the gas cap was not on tight or correclty. That light was not on yesterday and should have nothing to do with the gas cap being on loose since she has not messed with it and it was fine last night.

Any thoughts on what the issue might be. I have a couple of fans running trying to dry things out now. My fear is that the electronics in the dash are all wet and I am not sure what to do at this point. It sounds like we may have to get it towed to the dealership.

Do we let it sit and dry out? Would it even start after that since it won't start now? Should we try to jump it?

Any help is much appreciated. Has anyone else ever left there top down in the rain? She feels terrible right now.