General Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old Bug out of the Mothballs

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 04:14 PM
Default Old Bug out of the Mothballs

I have a 1976 VW convertible SuperBeetle that was running just fine when I got my new car 2 years ago. I left the bug in my driveway and have not touched it since. I now want to sell it. I imagine it will need a new battery, so I'm off to Pep Boys to buy one.

Are there any other things that need to be done in order to get it safely running again? Do I need to have the oil changed or fuel lines bled?

Any advice would help!

Also, it needs a new speedometer, any idea where to buy one for a car of this advanced age and any references for a good, honest VW mechanic in L.A. would help enormously.

Thank you.

Old 05-27-2007, 03:18 PM
Default RE: Old Bug out of the Mothballs

Just a thought and depending how much time and coins you want to sink into it just before selling it - but I would go through all the fluids. If you can do it your self - you will be ahead of the game, if you have to pay a shop - make sure you go somewhere that you feel comfortable with and trust - not sure where you are but they are around if you look.

Plugs, points - if you still have them, if not - petronix makes a great little replacement for points if you want to replace - this will also impress your prospective buyers. Go throught the carb if you have the time (providing it is not fuel injected) and clean it all up. Bleed the brakes and top off all the fluids.

A EXCELLENT resource and I can not emphasis this enough is www.********.com/vw. I have bought and sold everything I have ever needed from new to used parts for all my bugs (had few). Check it out for a shop as well - you will not go wrong. Heck - even throw it out there for sale. Great site.

Good luck.

The other option would be to keep it alive and drive it on the weekends......