General Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mk5 R32 thump issue

Old 07-15-2011, 07:54 AM
Default Mk5 R32 thump issue

Hey everyone, I am usually a creeper on forums but failed searches lead me to get some opinions. I drive a Mk5 R32. I have a few things done to it including an HPA core interlock transmission mount, an HPA SHS suspension, etc.

Anyways, the problem I am having is that shortly after putting on my suspension, I began to hear a "thump" noise on my front passenger side wheel well from inside the car. The noise seems to only be present when the car is cold and occurs at almost every interval of rotation on the tire, straight line or turning. Most common in reverse, but does happen in forward motion. The noise is only noticeable at low speeds ~10mph or less, and after the car is warmed up and has a few minutes of driving on it, the noise will be extremely rare in occurrence. The fact that it does not happen so often when the car is warmed up has me baffled. If it was something like a bearing or CV joint, wouldn't it be all the time no matter what?

Another idea I had being the sway bar links. The driver side sway bar link was a whole hell of a lot easier to put on than the passenger side, which required a lot of force/jacks etc to get into place for proper seat. I have installed only 3 suspension systems on my own in my life, but it was my first time installing one with sway bar end links. Initially I had both links lined up before I bolted them in to prevent it being a pain in the butt to bolt them in, but maybe I did something wrong to cause the passenger side to be so difficult to get into place? I feel most strongly about this area, but I see no cause for it to "thump" upon wheel rotation.

I have already checked wheel play to see if maybe it was a bearing and the wheel holds strong. Bearings in my experience don't go "thump" they grind. I also checked the tire for rocks, bubbles, etc. Information I have found leads to either the sway bar links, cv joint, or the brakes not releasing. Someone also threw out a bad transmission mount. Another a badly seated spring on the suspension.

I also have not been able to hear the noise with my head right next to the wheel well while somebody else is driving.

Any advice or help you guys can give would be much appreciated.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:21 AM

Bump for the new week