General Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iPod cable connection to RCD-310

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 06:36 AM
Default iPod cable connection to RCD-310

Hello,
I was wondering if someone could shed light on this issue for me.

I recently [2 weeks ago] purchased a brand new 2011 Jetta [1.4 TSI Comfortline] -it's not the newest shape though. It is equipped with the RCD310 radio/sound-system with 8 speakers, i requested for an ipod adapter to be fitted to the radio -this was offered by the dealership who used an "approved " VW third-party to install it prior to the car's delivery.
Now i have the car with the ipod cable fitted [located in the glovebox] BUT when i plug in the ipod and i select "MEDIA" i have to "CD-EXT" to choose the ipod function -this brings up a screen displaying CD1; CD2… [up to CD6] across the bottom of the screen. ALL the ipod tracks are located on "CD1" and CD2; CD3… [up to CD6] are the first 5 consecutive playlists on the ipod. NONE of these options display any browse feature nor do they display the track names [like you would expect from an ipod supporting media device]. The only ability i have in any of these functions is to scan through the tracks one by one.
My suspicion is that they have connected the ipod connecting cable as a external CD shuttle.
The manual of the RCD310 shows that it does support an ipod connection through a media port which it has [i presume located somewhere behind it]. The manual also shows that you should be able to browse through all the ipod's artist folders etc [with track names] from the car radio system itself. NONE of which i am able to do. It also shows that you would select the ipod by pressing MEDIA and then "MEDIA-EXT" not "CD-EXT".

I returned to question the dealer he brought in the third-party guy who installed it and both of them told me that you get variants of the RCD-310 and because i live in South Africa and the car was imported here and we "are a specific market" not all of the features mentioned in the manual are what i have -including the ipod section.
Now i can understand that i wouldn't have its park-distance-control warning feature because i don't have that on my car but the rest of it's features i expect to be there.
Is RCD-310 not a standard unit?
Do you really get variants of it? [according to where you live? i still have the TP function but we don't have that service in South Africa].

Please could someone shed light on this issue for me, or suggest someone at Volkswagen i can contact who would be able to answer my questions.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
James