General Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want my 63 convertible done right and I Need Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 10:54 AM

63 Nova Convertible Torque Converter Question?
I have a 63 Nova Convertible with a 283 SS motor (there is a difference in the crank), 3 spd trans, 10 bolt rear end (unknown gears). I built the engine with a friend, it has dart ported heads, edelbrock Performer RPM cam and intake, edelbrock 500 CFM carb, petronix flamethrower distributor, forged aluminum pistons and has been bored 5 over. The engine put out some serious HP starting at 2500-3000 rpm. With the current set up I have to hold the brakes to keep it from driving off; I have tuned this thing to perfection with the current setup, and it will hardly run by changing the fuel ratios in either direction. Ie, if too rich I get one wicked backfire when I put it in gear and slam on the gas and if I run it leaner it will kill.

Everyone that I have talked with says that I need to put in a torque converter with an RPM stall, but I've never selected stall. My car is a convertible, so it is relatively light when compared to most classics. I'm not sure what rear end gears I have in it, but I will be investigating that as soon as things warm up.

My car kicks a** at speeds above 50mph.

I'm concerned about the lunge that can occur with a stall converter as I have original brakes and don't want to bump my girl into anything.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

If you are in the twincities area for Back to the 50s, I'll see you on the streets! Look for the red one with the white top.

Ole

Oh and I've been told by everyone numbers between 2000 and 3500. I'm going to have my car on a dyno eventually, but everyone that has rode in it thinks its over 350hp. Most people think I'm running a big block before they look under the hood...haha...maybe its the hooker headers and 3" pipes with 36" glasspacks.