Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horn Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 08:36 PM
Default Horn Help!

Hi All -

First off - 2003 VW GTI VR6 24V 128K miles 6 speed manual

So I failed my annual inspection last week because my horn doesn't sound. In the weeks prior to this, I noticed I had to press my horn a little extra 'firm' or at a specific part to get it to work, however It always did eventually sound. Now the horn more often than not does not sound when trying to honk - after a few attempts it sometimes lets out a halfhearted honk, however, it is not reliable or consistent. Here is what I know:

The horn itself DOES work when direct voltage is applied
I do hear the relay 'clicking' when i press the horn
The fuse is not blown (#40)
As stated in description, it does 'kind of' work sporadically, but its completely hit or miss

Any guidance or assistance here would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Old 07-10-2015, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator

There are error codes for horn not working.

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing.

Old 09-02-2015, 04:59 AM

Hi,

1.) You can quickly check your horn by running a positive and negative jumper wire from your battery to your horn to see if it will work when given direct power. If your horn does not work with direct power to it them you will need to replace your horn.

2.) If you have a multimeter, disconnect the plugs on the horns and have a friend push on the steering wheel as if they were trying to activate the horn (note: ignition switch must be on). If you have 12V at the horn connector then discontinue diagnosis, your horns are bad. If you are not getting any voltage then your horn relay has gone bad. Replace horn relay and re-check horns.

3.) Turn the key to the on position, but do not start the Car with the key still in the on position, try to activate the horn. Do you hear a faint electrical clicking sound, (horn relay), If you do hear that clicking sound, it means that your clockspring is working correctly, and your horn relay is working correctly removing or replacing the clockspring may be necessary if you do not hear one.

Hope these Guidelines help....................