Concept & Rumor Mill Heard you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in.

NO MORE DIESELS

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 12:13 AM
Default NO MORE DIESELS

My dealer informed me today that vw has stopped production of ALL diesels until next year. He said that they are redesigning the tdi's for better efficiency. So now I need to find last year's (2005) Passat diesel wagon. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-16-2006, 10:33 AM
Default RE: NO MORE DIESELS

Good Luck finding a 2005 Passat Diesel wagon. They didn't even make one! Just the Jetta & Jetta wagon were available. Supposed to come out with one in 2007!

Old 09-21-2006, 05:34 PM

My dealer told me that the reason they are holding off until the 08 models is because of the new lower sulpher fuel that is mandatory starting in 07, It says on the pump where I normally fill up NOT to use the fuel with an 07 or newer car as any of those will be damaged by using the higher sulpher fuel that is available now.

So, VW is working on an engine that can use the ultra low sulpher stuff that will become mandatory in 2007; I just hope this low sulpher fuel will not hurt my 2006 model, but I guess there will be some kind of sulpher additive coming out, will have to check on that when the ultra low stuff is the only diesel fuel available.

As far as finding TDI right now, I was wanting to get rid of my 06 package two stick for an automatic and at least here in Tex they can't be found. May want to check on eBay they had a whole page of listings of TDI but I forget if I saw any wagons.

Old 09-29-2006, 02:22 PM

ORIGINAL: tafkam

My dealer told me that the reason they are holding off until the 08 models is because of the new lower sulpher fuel that is mandatory starting in 07, It says on the pump where I normally fill up NOT to use the fuel with an 07 or newer car as any of those will be damaged by using the higher sulpher fuel that is available now.

So, VW is working on an engine that can use the ultra low sulpher stuff that will become mandatory in 2007; I just hope this low sulpher fuel will not hurt my 2006 model, but I guess there will be some kind of sulpher additive coming out, will have to check on that when the ultra low stuff is the only diesel fuel available.

As far as finding TDI right now, I was wanting to get rid of my 06 package two stick for an automatic and at least here in Tex they can't be found. May want to check on eBay they had a whole page of listings of TDI but I forget if I saw any wagons.
I don't believe that the low sulfur diesel fuel is the reason for not producing TDIs in 2007. Europe has had LSD (low sulfur diesel) for years; in fact, our high sulfur diesel has been a hindrance to European diesel auto manufacturers. They're much more environmentally friendly than we are... I can remember having to recycle all the packaging at McDonald's in Munich back in the early '90s. Anyhow, if I recall correctly, the issue is that diesels have to meet the same standards as gasoline engines starting in 2007. This is the BIG problem!

Old 09-29-2006, 02:29 PM

To clarify, I mean the same EMISSION standards.

Old 11-19-2006, 02:31 AM

Check this out in the tdi clubs: Seal failures from ULSD? There is a lot of FUD about this, and whether the ulsd is taking out seals in the injector pumps, and whether it is lack of aromatics or lack of lubricity. Either way, I was about to pull the trigger on buying a tdi, but now I'm nervous enough to hold off until this all gets straightened out.

And since I tend to buy 3-4 year old cars, I'm out of the deisel market for awhile.

ken

Old 05-10-2008, 10:39 AM

the reason for no diesels is actually related to the tighter emmision standards coming in 2010. They are going to be out for sale by Sept. in Canada at least. Can't wait