Locked On Park

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 05:02 AM
Default Locked On Park

I was just wondering if anyone here knows how to fix my beetle or what can be wrong with it. It won't change from Park to Drive, or Neutral, or Reverse. It seems like the computer doesn't recognize that I'm pressing on the brake, therefore, making the handle non-movable. It's a 2000 2-door Beetle, and we had it for 5 years already. I just wanna be able to go to work. Thanks on all & any info you guys have.

Old 01-06-2007, 12:42 PM
Default RE: Locked On Park

It is the brake switch! $12.00 part but there was a Re-call on them , dealer should install for free, takes about 5 minutes.You sometimes can really push the brake pedal hard and quick sometimes quickly and release, it might re-set, mine did! So you can drive it, if not I think pushing in the brake will allow you to get it in Neutral, slowly while depressing and depressing brake pedal work the shift lever down , you can feel it trying to move, slide it down into drive , should be OK till you get to the dealer. But stomping on the brake pedal first NORMALLY works, when you STOPP DOING IT, GIVE ITABOUT 10 SECONDS TO RE-SET.

Old 05-05-2007, 04:07 AM
Default RE: Locked On Park

Heard also about the VW recall, but there are only selected car that are included in the recall... Too bad for my Passat because I had the same problem with my brake switch, ABS module and in addition to my leaking VW brake hoses... I think it is really unfair not be included in the recall though I am experiencing the same as the recalled VW models... I've trying to call the NHTSA to make an investigation with my VW problem so that it would also be included in the said recall...

Old 12-26-2016, 11:11 PM

We just worked on my friends 1999 vw bettle today it would not come out of park what we had to do was remove the center console and at the rear of the shifter there is a celonoid if you look on the passengers side of the celonoid and take a screwdriver and push the celonoid to the drivers side then spray it with some wd40 then let out on the screwdriver then you push the brake problem solved hope this helps you all.