VWF Help & Suggestion Center Need help with VWF? Ask. Have a suggestion to better VWF? Tell us here.

jetta vr6 loosing power

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 12:53 AM
Default jetta vr6 loosing power

I have problem with my 2001 jetta vr6 glx......I start loose power and my catalityc converter start to get hot ......
I have change MAF sensor ,spark plugs , and spark plug wires ....and still no power ....when you push gas pedal power first go down then up .....I don't now what to do ??? There is no lights on (check engine).....When you drive it ....it look that is trying to get full power ...I was trying to force it .....beacose it look like is gonna start runing like beafore......but no like ...I just made my catalityc converter totaly RED......Anybody .....here that have same problem or that can help me ....with this problem .....My car is parked ...I'm not drive in it ....So somebody help me please ...........

Old 05-25-2006, 01:50 AM
Default RE: jetta vr6 loosing power

your cat is pluged up mostlikly....

tony

Old 05-25-2006, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

yea I agree, it's more than likely plugged, it's starting to happen on mine, too.

Old 05-26-2006, 12:45 AM

That is exactly what I was thinking ........I take of my catalityc converter and make 7 holes of 1/2" thru and put it back on my car .......so......is not pluged any more but I still have same problem .....no power.......and my cat is still getting hot ......Friend of my ask one mechanic and he told him reason is in spurk plugs .......that they must be BOSCH .......but I can't find them for my car anywhere ,part number is "FGR8KQE" ......I like to try to change them....if I find them .....or if anybody have any other idea .....please reply............

Old 05-30-2006, 02:27 AM
Super Moderator

the brand of spark plugs would not make your cat glow red, you would on the other hand lose power. I've been building cars with my ucle my whole life, and I have never heard of that happening. The loss of power does have something to do with the brand of spark plug, research what plugs are offered, and use the best one. As far as your cat, if your lucky the plugs will fix it, if not keep looking..

Old 05-31-2006, 08:55 PM

I just got BOSCH spark plugs for my car ...and put it in to try ...but everything is same they didn't help still no power and my cat is geting hot .....I went yesterday to vw dealer and they ask $1140 for cat .....isn't that crazy.....I don't now what to do .....maybe I'm gonna take it for diagnostic to dealer .......Thank you everybody ....and if you guys got any more ideas ......speak up.....

Old 05-31-2006, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

I would say, go to a junk yard, cut you off a cat...get rid of your other and look up in the exhaust and see if anything is plugging it. Take the other cat and weld it on, see if there's a diff, otherwise look on ebay for a cat. other than that..I'm out of suggestions

Old 06-08-2006, 05:49 PM

get a commpression test look for oil in the coolant could be bad head gasket. see if you can plug the exaust and make it stall then it is something in the exaust system stand back though.make sure spark wires are in the right place!!!! check the air filter and throttel body for build up.take the cat right out and pipe it across lots more power its just a little bit illegal.

Old 06-10-2006, 12:16 AM

I just got my car back from vw dealer .....I let them do diagnostic (I was thinking that check is when they hook your car to the computer ....and you get big list with all the parts checked "ok" or "not ok") for 1 hour they sad that they find 3 things (wrong spark plugs(I got bosch spark plugs $9.99 pcs)....,then maybe catalityc converter ,and reading from MAF sensor wrong) then they sad that is not for sure ......,and that was $69.00 ?,....then they ask me to pay them $110 more for 1 more hour so they can tell me closer what is it ....So I deside not to do enything else.....When I come to take my car they just give me receive ........where is just how much they charge me and that they did diagnostic....????? No information at all .....?What is wrong or what did they find that is wrong .....When I ask is this computer check they sad yes it is ......but when they bring me copy of test ......!!!!! it was just somebody hand writing......somebody just wrote on it ...."wrong plugs","needs clamp for converter may need converter" and mass air flow reading wrong"......I was so pised ......so I just left .......I think that somebody just open the hood and look under .....I'm thinking of complaining about this or maybe do something more then that ......
Thanks to all of you for sugestions......and don't take your cars to vw dealers ....!!!!!

Old 06-10-2006, 12:23 AM

I'm not gonna do anything against law but I'm gonna buy that OBD II reader just to start with it .....then I may check compresion .......Thank you .....

Quick Reply: jetta vr6 loosing power