VW Transporter TS 800 gear selector problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 06:14 PM
ERU
Default VW Transporter TS 800 gear selector problem

Ok my new VW went wrong today All the gears broke and upon further inspection it seems the gear selector has fallen to bits on the M4. It looks pretty easy to fix but i have no idea what the missing part looks like as i have never seen it before.

If i can get to the stage of picturing it all in my head and actually knowing what part i'm looking for i can cheaply source a new one. I am too poor to take this to a dealer now so it's scrapyard searching. I'm more than capable of doing the labour myself if i can get a blown-up diagram of original the area. I called out the RAC but he had no idea except agree that a bit was certainly missing. I will pop into a dealership with the photos tomorrow to see i they can help identify it and i'll stop the next person i see driving a VW Transporter for a look under the hood.

Does anyone know what part i'm missing? Does anyone know anything about VWs? I have the same engine as a VW Golf i think. Does anyone have those CDROMs with car engines in?

Zoomed out picture showing problem area:

More detail of area:

Zoomed in to area with missing part:

Sideview of missing part with camera held side on:

Taken from floor area so a little out of perspective:

Old 08-04-2006, 07:14 PM
ERU
Default RE: VW Transporter TS 800 gear selector problem

Ok sorted now i think.

I went from Cardiff to Bristol to get the part as ALL the local dealers/scrapyards didn't have it. VW ftw!. Cardiff said it was 10-days wait from Germany. So i paid £20 to the stealership for what appears to be a small bit of metal with a plastic ball-joint in it! I had no other choice.

I then proceeded to TRY to fit the 'ball' shown on the left of the picture into 'shoulder' on the new £20 part. JESUS what a job it was! I have done alot of things on cars in the past and this topped them all in frustration. No matter what i tried to do they just would not fit togther. I tried clamps, levers (which may have bent the attached part), hammers, etc to no avail. The amount of force required to get it to go in was insane.

In the end me and madocks (who came over on day 2 to help) took the entire gear stick off, took it to a local garage, asked to use their heavy duty vice and with the correct angle/force it took a matter of seconds to pop in.
The wierd thing was i previously asked a VW mechanic how he did one a few weeks ago and he said "it was a bitch of a job but i just levered it off the engine block with a metal bar". My effort with a shovel didnt come close and eventually broke a T-section on the water res. How the hell he did this and avoided major damage is a mystrey. Someone must be driving about with a damaged/broken gear selector or he was VERY lucky.

Morale of the ordeal: 1> It is better to fix stuff yourself if you have the time as a mechanic will probably **** it more. 2> Whenever doing stuff on cars it is easier to take the thing to pieces in the long run.

Old 09-14-2006, 03:21 AM
Default RE: VW Transporter TS 800 gear selector problem

I had the same problem , just wrapped a few cable ties around to hold it in and had no probs for months now!