Need Help with my 1998 Polo Open Air

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 12:29 PM
Default Need Help with my 1998 Polo Open Air

Hi all
I purchased my Polo Open Air about 5 months ago. It has about 170000 Kms on the odo.
The car works fine apart from some signs of aging, which naturally tend to show up after 14 years of use. The car had not given any trouble so far. But that was until this evening.

I went out this evening and everything was fine. Then, I stopped for sometime at the market. When I returned and started my car, I noted that the odometer, clock, speedometer, tachometer temperature gauge and fuel gauge is not working.

(If it helps, I did note a slight fluctuation / unnecessary movement on the fuel tank gauge needle last evening when the car was stationary. It dipped a little all of a sudden and then came back.. But I did not pay much attention to it.)

All other electricals in the car are working perfectly fine. Even the cluster background lights are working.

I thought maybe my car had blown a fuse, so I tried to look for the appropriate fuse in the fuse box (below the steering wheel where they have about 21 numbered fuses with each number specifying what function that fuse is for. But I couldn't find any fuse for the instruments such as speedometer and odometer.

Also if it helps, it has been raining a lot for the past week or so in the place I live. I don't remember driving my car through lots of water or anything, so what could have gone wrong all of a sudden?

I hope I am not looking at a lot of expenditure to set things right!

I am a little stressed with this. Could someone please help me?

Thanks!