"Check Engine" light

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 02:03 AM
Default "Check Engine" light

Hey, so once again i'm back here! im so annoyed at my local VW garage! RIP OFF! i took my service bill to a private mechanic and even he was shocked at my £800 bill for a service! - I guess they can tell who understands about cars!... Anyway i was driving around yesterday (I dont drive ALOT really my car is mostly parked i'd say lol)- and the "Check engine" light popped up.. My main reason to take the car in for a service was to fix that light - now there response was " We found a little oil between the spark plug and (something) ,we didnt investigate further but if lights shows up we may have to (So they can charge me more ?!!) - Now could have been that they found oil because i had my uncle check my oil the day before or 2 days before taking the car in for a service and this was a coincidence? - The light showed up again when the car was on but i was stopped waiting for my friend to come ? I noticed the car getting not jumpy but i could notice more vibrations ? if that makes sense? , Any idea what it could be? Could it be i hardly use my car and its the same petrol in the tank??? THANK YOU!

Last edited by JohnPj; 08-02-2012 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Added more info on what it could be
Old 08-02-2012, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator

You need to find someone with VAG-COM\VCDS to do an Autoscan and see what error codes come back.

Now you don't say where you live but AutoZone in the US will do a free scan with the hope you buy something of them.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:47 AM
Default -

Unfortunatly i don't live in the US i live in Gibraltar lol

Old 08-10-2012, 08:16 AM

bill for a service! - I guess they can tell who understands about cars!... Anyway i was driving around yesterday (I dont drive ALOT really my car is mostly parked i'd say lol)- and the "Check engine" light popped up.. My main reason to take the car in for a service was to fix that light - now there response was " We found a little oil between the spark plug and (something) ,we didnt investigate further but if lights shows up we may have to (So they can charge me more ?!!) - Now could have been that they found oil because i had my uncle

Old 08-11-2012, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum. Name:  VWwelcome.gif
Views: 154
Size:  951 Bytes

Originally Posted by mairaa
"Check engine" light popped up.. My main reason to take the car in for a service was to fix that light - now there response was " We found a little oil between the spark plug and (something) ,we didnt investigate further but if lights shows up we may have to (So they can charge me more ?!!) - Now could have been that they found oil because i had my uncle
Thats really not a good description "We found a little oil between the spark plug and (something)" depending on how much oil there was it could have caused a misfire which may have put the MIL light on.

You really need to find someone with VAG-COM\VCDS to do an Autoscan to see what error codes come back.

https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/ne...gnature-34185/

You have a 2000 Beetle and your girlfriend has a 2001 Passat.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:00 AM
Default Update!!!

I took my car to a private mechanic and he explained that he could not turn thelight off because he didnt have that machine lol... he also explained that the "oil" that was "found" between the spark plug and something else (sorry i cant name it becasue i just cant remember what it was) wouldnt have made that light come on... he then explained that maybe the casue of this problem was due to the fact that i hardly use my car alot and maybe the "rod" in the petrol tank that sends messages to the car might be dirty with petrol particals etc..When i finished speaking to him (This was monday) and i got back into my car the light turned OFF!!!!!!!! - He then said i should try and use my car more often because he is certain that is the problem. I used my car today (Saturday) and whislt the car was on but stopped waiting to put petrol in the light turned on again (the 2 times that the light has come on has been when the car has been on but stopped waiting for someone)? Could what this mechanic say is true???? maybe i need to use it becasue that thing is dirty ??
PLEEASSEEE help i cant afford sending the car back

as far as my specs its a VW Polo 1.4 (16V) from 2000 (3 door).

thank you

Old 08-11-2012, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JohnPj
VW Polo 1.4 (16V) from 2000 (3 door).
You need that adding to you signature not adding to the end of every post you make.

Click on User CP on the left of the bar near the top. Click on Edit Signature on the left and type it in. You can click on Preview Signature to see what it looks like then click Save Signature then that will be shown on every post you make.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:44 AM

Yeah i did that yesterday haha - any ideas on my problem?

Old 08-12-2012, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

Sorry John only what I've suggested.

Originally Posted by Keithuk
You really need to find someone with VAG-COM\VCDS to do an Autoscan to see what error codes come back.
You could add your Location so we know where you live?

If you live in the States then AutoZone will do a free scan in the hope you buy something of them.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:34 AM

well i think you need to contact someone experienced who can scan the problem and can cure it completely.

Quick Reply: "Check Engine" light