Won't start

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 05:12 PM
Default Won't start

I am in Fanwood NJ visiting friends and my Passat won't start. I tried wiggling the key. I moved the transmission (shifted gear with the key in the ignition), I pressed the horn to hear the sound (sounds fine), I tried whatever little I could try and it all seems ok. I don't hear the engine cranking. The interior lights are working. The car alarm is not chirping when locking and opening. The car was not started in 3 days. The temperature went to freezing two nights. I don't know what is wrong. Does anyone know a reputable place that can work on VW's. Someone suggested that I turn off the switch for the alarm, but I could never find out where it is. I don't have my car manual--it got wet and all the pages stuck together. Does anyone have and extra copy of the car manual that they don't use anymore? It's a Passat 2001.

So, basically, these are the questions:
1) Anyone have any clue as to what the problem is?
2) Does anyone know where the alarm switch is usually located?
3) Does anyone have an extra car manual?
4) Does anyone know a reputable, affordable mechanic who knows about VW's--Central Jersey?

Old 11-30-2006, 04:07 PM
Default RE: Won't start

Had the same problem with my 00 Passat 2.8L was running fine and then I went to park and roll up the windows and sunroof and wouldnt do anything. I then shut the engine off and attempted to restart...nothing...radio worked, Climatronic worked...well I had pulled some wiring diagrams up and was about to pull the seat out to get to the computer and found a forum that another person had the same problem and I noticed they had said to check fuse 14 and well before I did all the labor to the seat and computer I checked fuse 14 and sure enough it was blown..it is the windows and lock fuse. Replaced it and started and everything worked. Then today about 20 minutes ago had the exact same thing happen again and it was blown. Went to put another fuse in and it kept blowing so now I am looking farther into it and will let ya know. But try fuse 14 to at least get you back on the road!!
Good Luck and let me know how it goes!