VR6 oil/Engine problems

Old 03-26-2010, 12:55 AM
Default VR6 oil/Engine problems

For about a month my 5 speed 2.8 vr6 passat would have the oil light randomly come on and at first i would shut the car off and turn it back on to get it to go off but it would very soon come back on, then I noticed when it comes on it would go off and stay off for a lot longer if i rev it to about 5k for a couple seconds. That worked for about a month then one morning I went to start it after nothing out of the ordinary the day before and it was having trouble starting and would run or stay running without my foot on the gas and it didnt have the usual growl, it sounded kind of whiney and starts to smell like its burning.

Also about a month ago, before I had the clutch replaced, I noticed a oil leak looking like from the oil filter so after the clutch was replaced I changed to oil/filter hoping to solve the issue, but I more recently noticed oil still leaks and seems to be coming from somewhere higher than the filter and getting on everything so I cant pinpoint where its coming from. Even with the car running I dont see it spray.

Sorry for being so long to explain, I just didnt want to leave anything out. I first thought it was the oil pump but with oil all over the bottom of the engine I'm not sure, any suggestions of what it could be or where to start to diagnose the problem will be appreciated. thanks in advance!