Shake/Rumble/Sputter @ Low RPMs (99 Passat Sedan)

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 11:01 PM
Talking Shake/Rumble/Sputter @ Low RPMs (99 Passat Sedan)

Hello,
I recently purchased a 1999 Volkswagen Passat 5-Speed 1.8T two days ago. When I first bought the car the engine would die on it's own, and you really couldn't drive it because of how bad it shook when under 3K RPM.

The man I purchased the car from had about DOUBLE the mount of oil that is supposed to be in the car. As soon as I changed the Oil I noticed a HUGE difference in the car. Still shook a bit when idling, and under 2k RPM, but definitely a improvement. I then decided to check the spark plugs, and sure enough, they had a good amount of oil on them from the previous owners carelessness. I put in new spark plugs and again noticed an improvement ever so slightly, but the cars still Shakes/Sputters/Jerks (whatever you want to call it) at low RPMs, no matter the gear.

The Car has made a huge recovery from when I first bought it, and I'm quite confident in the fact that I believe it can get back to normal when I replace X? I've done some research online, and I'm led to believe that it is the Coilpacks that need to be replaced. I was going to buy new ones tomorrow and see if that does the trick, but was curious as to if anyone on this website had any insight as to the problem I'm having.

Also, is there anything that one would recommend to clean the inside of the engine? I'd estimate that there was about 7qts of oil in the car when I purchased it. I know this can't/wasn't good for the engine and I'm concerned about sludge/oil build up.

Thanks for taking the time to read! I'll try to respond ASAP!

Old 05-02-2013, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum James. Name:  VWwelcome.gif
Views: 157
Size:  951 Bytes

Well the best tool you can buy for a VAG vehicle is VCDS, you can help out any friends or neighbours with VAG vehicles.

You don't say where you live but I assume the US. If you can't afford $349 for this cable I'm told that AutoZone will do a free scan in the hope you buy something of them. Or you search World Vag-Com Locator Map but this is never up to date. Don't be fooled again and buy the cheap Chinese clones of fleabay.

The fact that the previous owner had put in twice the amount of oil needed says it was never maintained properly.

There shouldn't really be a need to flush the oil out just change it at the prescribed intervals with the correct grade of oil. VW oil spec

Whats the mileage as the next job you're probably looking at is a timing belt change if you skip this and the belt breaks that will be alot bigger bill.

https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/ne...gnature-34185/