Old Car, New To Me

Old 10-15-2008, 06:40 PM
Default Old Car, New To Me

Hello, all.

I just bought a 1995 Passat Wagon GLX. Visually, the exterior is fine and the interior is clean too. It has just under 130k on the odometer, drives well. It's older, obviously, so it does have it's quirks. Needs two new front tires, maybe rear struts at some point (should track down the trans leak soon...)

Those are all things that will be done, but I also have some questions regarding the following.

Driver side window doesn't fully raise - I can hear a clicking once it gets about 95% raised. I'm guessing there is some kind of obstruction. Any ideas on how hard that might be to correct?

Right-side passenger door sticks a bit (so much so that the handle has come loose from tugging). - again, any ideas on of this is hard or easy job to correct?

Constant, low-key, buzzing when car is turned on - I have no idea how or where to begin diagnosing this. I kind of wonder if it's not somehow related to the airbag light that is always on. Any thoughts on how to proceed?

Slight burning smell - sometimes, on and off, there is a faint "burning" odor emanating from the engine compartment. All fluid levels are fine, no engine lights coming on. Am I just being hyper-sensitive?

Any help concerning these issues would be greatly appreciated. - Jonathan

Old 10-18-2008, 04:09 PM
Default RE: Old Car, New To Me

the buring smell is easy. you mentioned a trans leak?? its prolly that fluid getting hot on your motor. as for the sticky door, i had the same issue and bought some gun oil and sprayed down the hinges and it works great. with you window not rolling up all the way you might just have to get your hands dirty and take the door panels off and see what the issue is.