the oil sludge problem '02 passat 1.8T

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 06:47 PM
Default the oil sludge problem '02 passat 1.8T

Hi, I'm new to the formum and the VW world of cars. Mybuddy w/ a '97 Audi 1.8T has filled me in on some problem ares's of the engine and how to fix them. What my ?'s are is that i'm going next weekend to new hampshire to pick a '02 passat 1.8T from a family member. I then have to drive it back to Wisconsin. Not a problem. The problem is that he said the MIL light is on and that it spudders around when you get on the freeway or drive it for more than about half and hour. The car has 105K miles on it and he has owned it for only a year. He's knows nothing about cars and now has this problem, this is why i'm getting the car for only $1K. I should also mention its a GLS. Since he took it into a garage that he said he didn't think knew much about imports and they tol him that they needed to take the motor apart or replace it. I know that this is not the only way to get out sludge. I'm a pretty good mechanic, have worked on cars for years but, i know next to nothing about Vdub's. I'm taking my OBD2 scanner with me but i was just wondering if there was anything obvious to look for first. I'm also going to possibly flush the engine before i drive it and put on new filter and put in some royal purple . Any help is greatly appriciated.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:10 PM
Default RE: the oil sludge problem '02 passat 1.8T

sounds like you got it handled
thats the first thing to do
might have some bad coils in it sounds like a missfire

Old 10-11-2008, 08:43 AM
Default RE: the oil sludge problem '02 passat 1.8T

thanks for the reply

Old 12-29-2010, 03:00 PM
Former Sponsor

...we (Lubrication Specialties, Inc.) have a product tested by Navistar to remove oil build-up and sludge.

www.hotshotssecret.com
www.lubricationspecialties.com

Last edited by ChrisGabe; 02-18-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:41 PM

I had the dreaded oil sludge in mine & had to rebuild the motor. The oil pickup tube screen in the oil pan was nearly completely clogged. The turbo shaft lost oil pressure & snapped, and one of the camshaft bearings spun. If you find one that runs good still, get a scope & get a good look at the oil pickup tube through the drain plug, if possible. Otherwise, you'll have to lift the motor up/out to get that oil pan off.
I also had the ignition coils recalled...but wasn't having problems with them.
Also, someone before me pulled the spark plugs while the engine was hot & stripped out the threads on #2 & 3.
All in all, I've had lots of "fun" with mine. I know better next time.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:00 AM
Former Sponsor

We have had a few people try Hot Shot's Secret in the 1.8 and it seems to help a lot. If you are experiencing this problem or you want to run it for prevention then let me know. We originally made the product for the Ford 6.0 liter engine but I have reformulated it for the small engines and packaged it in a quart. We have thousands of customers with good reports on the diesel. The cost of the product is $27.95 and it has a money back guarantee. It is a combination of detergent, dispursant, friction modifiers and other additives. It will not harm your engine. I believe the best way to introduce it is with the money back guarantee. Let me know if you have any questions. You can find it at www.hotshotssecret.com.
Thanks,
Chris