New to a stick / TDI -- is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 07:49 AM
Default New to a stick / TDI -- is this normal?

Picked up a TDI manual a month and half ago & have put about 3.5k on it so far. Never driven a stick before and was self-taught (salesperson handed me the keys and told me I'd figure it out). When the car has warmed up everything is smooth (well, not my rev matching yet, but everything else ), but the first few miles I drive in the day are a bit rough, and I'm wondering if it's normal.

First, when I first start running the car in the morning shifting is a lot harsher (ex, missing a rev match by 100 rpms lurches the car like it would if I missed it by 500 after the car is warm).

Second (and more concerning), for the last few days when I shift out of first (again, when the car isn't warm) the car vibrates some and I can hear an oscillation as the clutch disengages.

Also, does a TDI normally sound "dieselly" at first? I know I should expect a diesel to sound like a diesel, but after the car warms up it sounds like a quite gas engine, but the first few miles I drive it sounds like an old diesel truck as I accelerate.

EDIT: It's a 2012 TDI SE, bought new.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum. Name:  VWwelcome.gif
Views: 75
Size:  951 Bytes

Well if you've never driven a manual gearbox before it will take a bit of getting used to.

First of we need to know more details on the car you bought, the year and the engine. It would be a good idea if you put this info in your signature then users won't need to ask everytime.