Volkswagen Forum - VW Forums for Volkwagen enthusiasts

Volkswagen Forum - VW Forums for Volkwagen enthusiasts (https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/)
-   Volkswagen Passat / CC (https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/volkswagen-passat-cc-21/)
-   -   late 90s security system problem (https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/volkswagen-passat-cc-21/late-90s-security-system-problem-34247/)

WYGSS 12-27-2011 03:46 PM

late 90s security system problem

i got a friend with a late 90s passat that said he has a problem with his alarm system on his car, he said he has to disconnect his battery every time he stops somewhere otherweise his alarm goes off.

is thier a way to fix this or disconnect the alarm system?

what stuff runs on the alarm system? (radio, ect)

Keithuk 12-27-2011 04:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Welcome to the forum. Attachment 3286

Well it must be a complete pain disconnecting the battery every time he stops the car. Surely the alarm won't be set until he locks the car or is that when the alarm goes off? He may as well disconnect the alarm siren until he gets it fixed.

I assume is battery in the remote key fob is good? With is being a 90s Passat then I'm not sure if he will get a VAG-COM scan which would be useful, we need the exact year.

WYGSS 12-27-2011 04:48 PM

yeah im waiting on a friend to tell me what year exactly, now if he disconnects the siren would that cause problems with him trying to jump in the car and go if the alarm is going off and say the car wont start on him cause his alarm thinks someone is trying to take the car, im not sure exactly what the alarms do on these cars. i will try and get the year soon so i can figure this out for him.

Keithuk 12-29-2011 02:08 PM

Well if the alarm is active then I don't think the car will start as the ecu will stop it.

WYGSS 01-06-2012 09:53 PM

It is a 97 passat glx

Keithuk 01-07-2012 07:27 AM

Probably similar to the Passat Immobilizer I had a while ago.

WYGSS 01-07-2012 07:23 PM

Im just wondering is their any way to just dissconnect their alarm system where their car will still run?

Keithuk 01-07-2012 08:07 PM

The only way to disable the immobilizer from the system is send your ecu off to one of the ecu tuners they can programme it to disable the immobilizer.

WYGSS 01-08-2012 09:44 AM

I was talking to the guy more he said this all happened after he got it towed, I didn't hear him say why it was towed, now where would this Immobilizer be located and do you need a diagnostic tool to help with replacing it? When i get more time to look at the car I will get more info. What kind of test do I exactly have to do to test this Immobilizer, just see if car starts when the alarm goes off?

Keithuk 01-08-2012 12:09 PM

With it being a 97 Passat you need to find someone with VAG-COM\VCDS to do an Autoscan to see what error codes come back and post the codes in here. The immobilizer could be in a seperate white module in the steering column or in the instruments. There is an immobilizer icon in the dash if thats operating it will start for a second then stop.