freaking out about coil packs

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 09:33 PM
Default freaking out about coil packs

[:@] holy ****! some people are so dumb when it comes to cars. i have just started asking ?'s about the passat '02 i'm suppose to get. The 1.8T that my cousin is giving me, he just keeps bring the good news every time i talk to him.Today he told me that he tried to startthe car and itjust turned over no start.After i told him that i was going to possibly replace coil packs and plugs he told me that some time ago he had a misfire on cylinder no.1 and replaced the coil pack. He thentold me that he has had the car for around 20k miles and never had a tune-up done to it. WTF!!!NowI'm kinda scared about going and getting it. Please anyone that can help me i greatly appriciate it. Iknow some of you guys have already replied to my ?'s thanks. I look forward having this car and become a avid poster on here. Thanks again to the support the fellow Vduber's.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:06 AM
Default RE: freaking out about coil packs

how many miles are on it now

Old 10-15-2008, 09:17 PM

there is about 105k on it now. I got some hitachi coil packs today and ngk laser platinum plugs from ECS. So, hopefully it will be enough to get me home. Then with in the next month i wanna do the timing belt. Also whatever routinemaintinence i need to do.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:01 PM

ya if the belt and waterpump have not been doone yet that is a job you want to do a.s.a.p.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:42 PM

I will take ur word on that. It just suck that i just just spent like 48 bucks on a set from ECS. By the way that is a cool site thanks for looking out for a brother. I will most likely get alot of parts from there.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:53 AM

i have heard that the plats are part of the problem with burning out coils

Old 10-17-2008, 07:35 PM

well just another lesson to belearned about german cars. I guess I will have to use them for the ride home then change them later. sounds like I will be spending a lot of money on this car, but hopefully it will be worth it. thanks for the help on getting me on the right path. will keep you updated on the trip back home.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:36 PM

Here is the update on the 1400mile trip home. The car ran beautiful from new hampshire to indiana. We drove the first 1200 miles in about 18 hrs. without a problem. Then on sunday we started driving from indiana back to wisconsin and got about halfway into Ill. when the car started to make a humming noise at arund 70mph. We pull off at the oasis and just when we got to the top of the ramp the hum turn to a TICK TICK TICK. We turned off the car an dlet it sit for about 1 hour. found a advanced before we stared again (which ) was 5 miles away. We started the car and the noise was gone. Got a couple hundred feet from the store and noticed smoke from the tail pipe. Pulled into the store and changed the oil filter, started the car drove around for a couple miles, checked the oil again and stared to drive the rest of the way home. When i went to get off at the airport to to pick my integra that was sittong there the noise started again at about 20 mph. Let the car sit checked the oil it was fine. After about 45 min. started the car and the noise was gone but the smoke was back. Drove the car another 30 miles to where the car meet it's final resting place. I was listening for the noise the whole time didn't here then about 3 miles from my house BAM BAM BAM and then pop. Saw a little flash of light under the car then smoke from under the hood. AWESOME followed by alot of cursing. I turned the car off as soon as i heard the noise to avoid further damage but after looking at it this morning found that this didn't matter. Right under the starter I found a little hole in the side of the block. SOB. now i'm looking for a new motor to put in my car.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:52 PM

[:-] Actully the oil way good the whole time and i changed the filter again halfway home. i think what happened and i didn't put it together before i left, was that my cousin said he used to be able to hear the car running in his room which was on the second floor of the house. After this happened i can only imagine that the bearing had spun before i got it and he was driving it that way for awhile. I ran motor fluch through it and put in royal purple and a new mann filter. the car ran awesome for the whole trip from new hampshire to indiana, a straight 18 hr. drive with only gas stops, and it had great gas mileagethanks to the coils and new plugs. The problem started, i believe when my dad drove it back form indy to wisconsin while i slept. I know how he drives and he was getting on it. But, to his defense we had no reason to believe there was a problem. I did find toda a local shop that said they sould weld up the hole for me for cheapand they have a good reputaion with the machine i go to. the hole is only about half the size of a dime. I think the bearing spun, streched the bolts and the rod cap corner smacked the block. So, now i will tear it apart and rebuild. Have the crank checked and geat new bearings, rings and such. if you have recommendations on good places other than ecs to get parts that would be cool. thanks for your helpto all

Old 10-24-2008, 07:45 PM

that sucks big time

Quick Reply: freaking out about coil packs