'99 Passat (1.8t) jerks violently during acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 01:10 AM
Default '99 Passat (1.8t) jerks violently during acceleration

Good day all. Sorry if a simular problem has already been posted. I performed a search with no helpful results. I'm hoping I can get some help for this problem. My '99 Passat (1.8t) shakes and jerks violently during acceleration. If the terrain is smooth & flat I don't seem to have a problem. The problem gets pretty extreme during acceleration especially if going uphill. Also, it seems as if it really kicks in when the transmission shifts gears. I have replaced the fuel filter, dump valve, & all 5 mounts to include the front snub mount. I am at a total loss....please help!!

Old 07-17-2009, 12:22 PM

Is it Automatic or Manual? Either way it could be a cylinder is not firing. If it is Manual you may be in to high of a gear, even if automatic the tranny may not be shifting properly. The clutch may be going, there may be a restriction in the injectors that only shows up when the demand for fuel is higher than average.
Those are just what I thought of as I wrote this. I assume you're trying to fix this yourself sionce you are here and did so much already. It would be worth it to check all the plugs and wires. If any plugs are really black or gunked up get a compression test to be sure it isn't the cylinder rings giving out. Change the wires and the plugs. I got the parts this for $220 at the local, you may be able to find better on the net. I went with the cheaper wires as the OEM cost $300!
If all this fails and you can't think of a way to check the other items I mentioned then a diagnostic at a good shop is worth the money even if you want to fix it yourself.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by newtome
Is it Automatic or Manual? Either way it could be a cylinder is not firing. If it is Manual you may be in to high of a gear, even if automatic the tranny may not be shifting properly. The clutch may be going, there may be a restriction in the injectors that only shows up when the demand for fuel is higher than average.
Those are just what I thought of as I wrote this. I assume you're trying to fix this yourself sionce you are here and did so much already. It would be worth it to check all the plugs and wires. If any plugs are really black or gunked up get a compression test to be sure it isn't the cylinder rings giving out. Change the wires and the plugs. I got the parts this for $220 at the local, you may be able to find better on the net. I went with the cheaper wires as the OEM cost $300!
If all this fails and you can't think of a way to check the other items I mentioned then a diagnostic at a good shop is worth the money even if you want to fix it yourself.
It's automatic/tiptronic. Like I said, it seem like it only happens under load. If I am on even terrain or cruising there is no problem Only during acceleration or gear shift. The engine literally feels like it is going to jump out of the bay. The sound is like there is a gorilla pounding it's way out from under the hood. It is almost undrivable! From my research It could be the coil pack or the MAF. What are thoughts about that?

Old 07-18-2009, 07:32 PM
Default Solved!!!!!!!!!!!

1st off I would like to thank everyone who contributed any input to my problem. I decided to go with replacing the spark plugs, coil packs and clean MAF. None of the local parts stores in my area carried the packs so I decided to replace the plugs give it a test drive and if that didn't work.....do the same after cleaning the MAF. Replaced the spark plugs, took her for a ride and behold.!.!.! Could not duplicate the problem. Drove up hill several times, stop and go, straight flat road, slow excel and fast excel. Everything was running great! You would not believe the difference the plugs made in idle and all through the gears. I must admit, I didn't think the plugs would be the fix, but I started at the bottom and got lucky! Thanx again to all who contributed!

NOTE: Hope it doesn't come back!

Old 07-21-2009, 08:34 AM
Default Good

It was one or more cylinders not working.
How bad were the plugs when you pulled them out?
I'm guessing intermittant failure to fire was the cause of your symptom.