96 Passat Oil Pressure Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 11:13 PM
Angry 96 Passat Oil Pressure Problem

I've got a 1996 Passat wagon GLX automatic.
I'm getting the LOUD beeping and flashing oil light. It will only beep at me if i warm the engine up to operating temp, turn it off, then turn it back on and rev it up to about 2200rpm.
What I have tried:
Added oil.
Checked the wire to the high pressure sensor by grounding and ungrounding it. seems to function correctly.
Checked the voltage between the high pressure sensor and the battery - seems to function correctly.
Changed to thicker oil - from 5W/30 to 15W/40, and i had just gotten an oil change at valvoline instant, so i left the same filter on. also i went back to valvoline and had them check to be sure the filter was installed correctly and such.

It seems that I have a real oil pressure problem, unless someone can suggest a malfunction. What's next for me? I read that i should drop the pan and check the oil screen on the inlet.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum. Name:  VWwelcome.gif
Views: 81
Size:  951 Bytes

The only true way to check if you have oil pressure is to fit an external gauge via the oil pressure switch.

You don't say which engine you have but a 1996 Passat 1.8 Turbo - 2.0 bar (30 psi) at 2000 rpm.

You need to get your motor scanned for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them.

https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/ne...gnature-34185/

Old 05-13-2014, 04:24 PM

Thanks for the tips keithuk.

Engine error code:
P0411 - incorrect airflow

Old 05-13-2014, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

VAG Error Code: 16795
EOBD II Error Code: P0411

Fault Location:
Secondary Air Injection (AIR) System - Incorrect Flow Detected

Possible Cause:
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.
Engine hesitation.

Wiring/Connector(s).
Secondary air injection (AIR) pump leaking/blocked or stuck open/closed.
Secondary air injection (AIR) solenoid valve (N112) leaking/blocked or stuck open/closed.
Secondary air injection (AIR) hose(s).
Secondary air injection (AIR) pump relay (J299).
Faulty Vacuum hoses damaged.

Possible Solutions:
Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
Check Fuel Pump Relay (J17).
Check Hoses/Pipes to/between Components.
Check Secondary Air (AIR) Injection Hoses/Pipes for Carbonization.
Check Secondary Air (AIR) Injection Pump (V101).
Check Secondary Air Injection Pump Relay (J299).
Check Secondary Air (AIR) Injection Solenoid Valve (N112).

When is the code detected?:
The secondary air injection system does not detect the presence of air in the exhaust when introduced by the secondary air injection system.

Description:
An air pump is used on the vehicle to lower tail pipe emissions on start-up. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) grounds the Air pump relay control circuit which energizes the Air pump. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) also grounds the Air combination valve vacuum control solenoid circuit, which energizes the Air vacuum control solenoid. Vacuum is then applied to both Air combination valve diaphragms which opens the shut off valves. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) enables both circuits simultaneously when Air system operations id desired. When the AIR system is active, then Air pump forces fresh air into the exhaust stream in order to accelerate catalyst operation. The AIR combination valves replace the conventional check valves. When the AIR system is inactive the shut off valves prevent air flow in either direction.

As taken from my https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/ge...oftware-34973/

Old 05-13-2014, 09:30 PM

Thanks! That's very helpful for my next emissions inspection. But that error code doesn't seem to have any effect on oil pressure, right? Tried installing a pressure gauge today but there's just no room to get my hand in there, much less wrenches. I did notice a lot of oil on the sensor, though. I think tomorrow I will drop the whole contraption down and replace the sensor.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:03 AM

it's been a while since i fixed this issue, but i thought i would let you know... i dropped the oil filter flange down and replaced the high pressure sensor. it was extremely difficult to find the correct replacement sensor based on online advice and auto parts store advice, but i just bought a few different ones and matched what i took out. it took about 4 hours and it was a total of like 3 bolts and the sensor. just extremely difficult to get hands and wrenches in there. my oil leaks worse than it used to, i think, but the annoying buzzing and blinking are gone. good enough for me for now. thanks for the help.