2018 Passat R-line 2.0T EPC light no CEL

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2021, 07:42 PM
Default 2018 Passat R-line 2.0T EPC light no CEL

Just purchased a 2018 Passat R-line 2.0T about 3 weeks ago. Has 70K I have noticed a slight sporadic shake while idling or in park. So minor its hard to notice. And I've only noticed it twice in three weeks. Both times after sitting all night. Once it's warmed up. I've only put < 200 miles on it since purchasing. But today while I was driving, The EPC light came on and acceleration was almost non existent. Drove it for about 1/2 mile the rest of the way to work. Shut it off, turned it back on. Runs fine. No CEL at this time.

It does have an appointment to get a recall taken care of on Tuesday the 20th. The Recall is for an ECM Software update relating to the Engine system's emission calculations. MFC recall # 24EZ. I read it could be as simple as bad/old gas? It came with a full tank of gas and haven't had to add any yet. I also read that an ABS sensor could cause the fault. The vehicle did have all new front brake pads, rotors, and calipers put on in March. Could this be related?

Any tips? Or is this something that should be of concern?

Old 07-17-2021, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kbedwards73
Just purchased a 2018 Passat R-line 2.0T about 3 weeks ago. Has 70K I have noticed a slight sporadic shake while idling or in park. So minor its hard to notice. And I've only noticed it twice in three weeks. Both times after sitting all night. Once it's warmed up. I've only put < 200 miles on it since purchasing. But today while I was driving, The EPC light came on and acceleration was almost non existent. Drove it for about 1/2 mile the rest of the way to work. Shut it off, turned it back on. Runs fine. No CEL at this time.

It does have an appointment to get a recall taken care of on Tuesday the 20th. The Recall is for an ECM Software update relating to the Engine system's emission calculations. MFC recall # 24EZ. I read it could be as simple as bad/old gas? It came with a full tank of gas and haven't had to add any yet. I also read that an ABS sensor could cause the fault. The vehicle did have all new front brake pads, rotors, and calipers put on in March. Could this be related?

Any tips? Or is this something that should be of concern?
First posts normally go into Introductions section else you could be after a quick free fix for this problem never to be seen again.

Take it back to the place you bought this Passat from get them to check it out

Get the car scanned with VCDS to see what fault codes are registered in the ecu.

Clearing the fault codes doesn't fix anything only the ecu memory