Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Won't start once a week

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 05:19 PM
Default Won't start once a week

For some reason my Jetta randomly won't start about once a week for about the past month. It'll turn over but it just won't fire up. After i come back after a couple hours it'll start up and run fine.

I have no idea what is wrong, i had the battery checked, spark plugs replaced, wires looked at, oil changed, and gave it fuel injector cleaner. Anyone have a clue what it could be? It's a 98 Jetta GL

Old 05-22-2006, 01:39 AM
Default RE: Won't start once a week

every now and then i get this problem... what normally works for me is takin' of the gas cap and then puting it back on

why..... i have no clue

(i have a 96 gl)

tony

Old 05-22-2006, 02:59 AM

thats's weird i guess it could be the pressure or something. i'll try that next time.

Old 05-22-2006, 03:02 AM

yha i thought the same..

tony

Old 05-23-2006, 04:03 PM

Ok now today it just shut off in the middle of an intersection and wouldn't start again. I got it towed to a garage then when they went to diagnose it, and it started for them so they can't figure out what it is.

They said it might be the fuel pump but they aren't sure i dunno if i should go ahead and get it fixed and hope that was it or not

Old 05-23-2006, 04:16 PM

did you try that cap thing and then try to restart it??? i do know that is is something within the fuel with mine so maybe that is a sign of the pump going bad...

tony

Old 05-24-2006, 01:45 PM

no, i didn't try that it was in the middle of a major intersection so i just got it towed rite away. my roommate was saying its probably the fuel pump. but they place i had it towed to gave me a qoute of 600 to replace it. i dunno if i should get it done somewhere else and see if i can get it for cheaper or drive like 45 mintues to the nearest dealer and have them look at it.

Old 05-24-2006, 06:06 PM

try starting it at the shop with the cap and stuff

or do the pump your self (if you can/have the know how)

tony

Old 05-27-2006, 08:06 PM

I just experienced the same thing this morning on my 98 GL. What exactly is yours doing? Is it cranking but not turning over? That is what mine is doing. Right away I thought it was either a crankshaft or camshaft sensor going bad b/c I had a Subaru that did the same thing and that was the problem. Only thing is the Jetta isn't registering a code to find out.

Old 05-27-2006, 11:24 PM

Mine is turning over, but just not starting. We're thinking its the fuel pump. But think i'll have to take it to the dealer to find out for sure.

Quick Reply: Won't start once a week