Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 12:24 AM
Default Vibrations

I have two problems that may or may not be related to my 96 Jetta GL III...

1. I'm noticing a lot of vibrations passing into the dashboard, particularly when i'm in 3rd, and when I am in low rpm's for each gear. When I get these vibrations, if I press on the glove compartment they go away...

2. When I am idling at a traffic light, or I'm in first gear at real low rpm's ever couple of minutes the rpm's will dip down a little bit and I'll get a strong vibration throughout the car ( for about a half a second), then the rpm's will go back up to normal levels.

Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions are welcome, and thanks in advance!

Old 06-21-2006, 01:57 AM
Jsd
Default RE: Vibrations

Well your first problem just sounds like loose trim pieces. Common in a lot of cars at real low rpm. Things vibrate, naturally, over time it gets worse, as it expands and contracts over time and general wear and tear. You could try taking pieces apart and see exactly what is vibrating in your dash, then snug it up some how, tighting all the screws and what not.

Not sure about your second problem. Sounds like a typical VW to me lol. Has it done this since you've owned it? Recently? Since your last fill up? Need more details on the problem...

-Jeff

Old 06-21-2006, 09:34 PM

thanks for the fast reply. I don't remember it happening for a long time ( although I've only had this car for about 6 months). The closest repair I did to when I started noticing the vibrations would be when I replaced my front motor mount, which I know could possibly be the problem, but I know I installed it right (I think I'd know pretty quickly if I didn't have the motor mounted properly) Thanks for the help!

Old 06-22-2006, 12:17 PM
Jsd

Is this manual or automatic?

-Jeff

Old 06-22-2006, 06:53 PM

Manual

Old 06-22-2006, 07:09 PM
Jsd

Okay this may be such a stupid question...do you think you're possibly letting off the clutch at times? Without realizing it?

lol...other than that I can't think of anything....is it more of a shudder or vibration...there is a difference

Old 06-23-2006, 01:04 AM

well, the vibrations I was talking about in general (with the dash) are definitely vibrations, but the rpm thing when I am at a stop I would more describe as a shudder. I know I have the clutch in because I have tried pressing in the clutch a whole lot to see if that minimized the shuddering and it didn't. It sort of reminds me of the shudder you get if you're starting to stall out...

Old 06-23-2006, 02:39 PM

i have the same problem as the first thing you described. it is also relieved by pressing on my glove box. i just assumed something was a little loose in there, like a screw in the handle or something. i really don't think that's anything to worry about.

Old 06-23-2006, 03:49 PM
Jsd

Fact of life, Trim SUCKS lol never lasts.

Anyways, I know the shudder you're talking about....it could be a vaccum leak, sometimes it does it, other times not...as well, could be something to do with your throttle cable itself...I extremely doubt it but keep looking and eliminating possibilities.

-Jeff