Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble Shifting into 1st

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 07:15 PM
Question Trouble Shifting into 1st

I've tried the search and scanning through the threads...not finding anyone with similar issues.

I just bought a 1999 VW Jetta for my daughters to learn to drive in...picked it up cheap...$1000...but there are a few known issues with the car...the check engine light is on (previous owner said it was a failing sensor...I'm okay with that), the right side mirror needs replacing (auto wreckers will have plenty), e-brake cable is broken (again, no problem)...but the one thing that is worrying me is that it is difficult to get it into 1st gear. The car starts & runs quite nicely and it shifts easy (although the shifter is a little sloppy), but when you come to a stop at a light or a stop sign, getting the car to go back into 1st is a pain in the butt...you think you have it in 1st and when it is time to go, you realize it is in 3rd...fart around a bit to try to get 1st, sometimes you are lucky and it slips in, other times I just grab 2nd and slip the clutch...not good...

I'm just wondering if this is a common issue that has an easy fix, or is this something that will require pulling the trans? Again that isn't a huge deal since there are many of these cars in the wreckers, but I'm hoping it is a linkage adjustment or a known wear item...

Thanks for any help...I will be going to pick up a Haynes manual tomorrow for the car which will help.

I'll take some pics of the "Silver Bullet" and post up next time...

Later.