Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

timing issues?

Old 06-30-2012, 08:51 PM
Default timing issues?

hey guys, im new here, so any help would be greatly appreciated. My girlfriend has a 2000 jetta vr6. the crackpipe, or crossover tube, or coolant pipe, whatever its called, cracked, so she wasnt able to hold coolant. i replaced the part, and put everything back together, and for some reason it does not want to start. it will crank, and backfire, but wont start. it started just fine when i parked it in the garage. i have gone through all the connections, hoses, tubes, wires, flux capacitors, and coaxle monitor cables and can not find anything that i missed. i checked to see if i had fuel, and when i started to pull the fuel line off of the fuel rail it squirted fairly good, so i am assuming i have pressure. i checked all the spark plugs, the spark plug wires, but i did not check the coil packs.

a buddy of mine who knows newer cars much better than i do told me that the timing was probably off due to the backfiring. does anyone know how to adjust the timing on these, and if so, do i need any special tools other than a timing light?

i will admit that i may have missed a connection, but like i said, i went through everything, and havent found any that i missed. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum. Name:  VWwelcome.gif
Views: 38
Size:  951 Bytes

If all that your done is replace a coolant pipe and now it won't run retrace what you've done making sure you haven't knocked off and connectors on sensors.

Its nothing to do with engine timing as you can't knock that and make it slip.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:20 AM
Default thanks keith!

thanks for the input, i will run through everything again. like i said, i have looked at everything over and over, and have not found anything, BUT that doesnt mean i didnt miss something.