Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Belt..?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator
Default Timing Belt..?

So, the other day I called up a guy to price out how much he would do my timing belt for. He said to me that I don't have a timing belt on my car, it's a timing chain. So, I guess if that's true, my motor should go to at least 200,000 miles....I thought I had a belt, but guess I was wrong. Any opinions??

Old 01-02-2007, 10:53 PM
Default RE: Timing Belt..?

Don't listen to everything mechanics say.........i own an rx8 and i went to buy a replacement fuel filter and he told me it was in the gas tank until i walked him out to my car to show him it was on the drivers side quarter panel about 9 inches from the back wheel...........i showed him this after he gave me a 10 min speech about how i was going to have to pull the tank................i'm not sure whether you have a timing belt or chain but ...........................ok i just flipped a coin and you have a belt.

Old 01-02-2007, 10:54 PM

sorry sarcasm............................I'm pretty sure you have a belt but don't quote me

Old 01-05-2007, 10:21 PM

come on people ...enough of this monkey ****....you have a belt...very easy to change...with the right allen wrench to remove the upper cover.....two bolts hold the lower cover....take off the belt ..put the new one on...make the tensioner pully loose...fit the belt and tighten the pulley ...it will move foward toward you...be sure you can twist the belt 90 degrees exposing the inner belt teeth toward you..put..covers back on ...go drive....if you notice or hear noise or poor acceleration....belt is too tight! or too loose...........

Old 01-06-2007, 01:02 PM

Just make sure you DO NOT move either drive gears! I would manualy move the car back or forward till the timing marks line up on the gears exposed from removing the cover. They are notched quite deeply in each gear. Slide the belt on by releasing tension on the idler with a large prybar or screwdriver, having a second person is helpful. No grease or lubricant of any kind is needed on these belts. Just DO NOT over tighten Idler Pulley or you will be replacing watepump and idler quickly by pulling excessively on those bearings. Good Luck , not a hard job! You can easily do it and save some $$$$ 's

Old 01-08-2007, 07:05 PM

im sorry man im a mechanic and dont listen to the idiot who says doing a timing belt is easy . not everyone is skilled with wrenches if you dont know ask afriend whose been burned by someone on the internet before

Old 01-08-2007, 07:37 PM

not sure about your vr6 but on a 1.8 its a belt. on mine the belt came off when it was running! its ok though it survived. anyway I found trying to get the botom cover off was a bitch and you have to remember which side of the tensioner to put the belt on but other than that it just took a while to get the timing set but you wont have to worry about that hopefully!

Old 01-09-2007, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

OK, I did tons of research, talked to the dealership, mechanics, and I went to the junkyard and tore apart a VR6 motor. I even went on the EuroTuner website....My VR6 has a timing chain...NO BELT..end of story...

Old 02-07-2009, 11:37 AM

lol

Old 02-07-2009, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Dear Lord!

Quick Reply: Timing Belt..?