Volkswagen Jetta/Bora
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sudden power drop due to changing air pressure when climbing/descending hill?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 11:39 AM
Default Sudden power drop due to changing air pressure when climbing/descending hill?

Hi, everybody,

I have somewhat of a puzzling issue with my 2001 Jetta 2.0 GL and hope that somebody else has had the same issue and maybe figured out the cause or has a good pointer.

On my way to work there is a hill that rises fairly steeply, again this morning, just when reaching the peak my Jetta had apparent loss of power, it almost feels like the engine is about to stall completely, only to recover 2 seconds later and not missing a beat. There are no issues actually climbing the hill.
The weird thing is that the same thing happens on the way home at said incline when going downhill, when almost reaching the bottom of the hill. The same stalling, hiccup, then 1-2 seconds later running like a dream again. It always happens in precisely the same location, preferably when the tank is almost empty (not yet in the red when it happened this morning).

Now here is the thing that puzzled me: this is happening with my new 2001 Jetta exactly as it did with my old beat-up 2001 Jetta, also the exact same location???

My first thought would be changing air pressure from climbing/descent could cause the problem in combination with an almost empty tank?

Any ideas would greatly appreciated, other than that the car is running great.

Thanks!

Edit:

I just spoke to a coworker of mine who happens to drive a 2003 Jetta and who happens to take same way to work and upon me telling him of my issue he realized that it has happened to him before in exactly the same locations as well.
Hmmmmm!

Last edited by Roadrunnerdeluxe; 03-10-2011 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old 04-04-2011, 02:57 PM

try it with a full tank of gas and see if you have the same problem.

i managed to get my mom's gmc yukon to choke out when it was low on gas by launching. barely made it through the intersection, put it in park, started up again just fine, then got it filled up and no issues.